• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Betrayal March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    May's deal is so similar to EFTA it might as well be. The only difference is that "freedom of movement" will be replaced by "labour mobility". This is nothing more than a cosmetic difference not a great deal different to Switzerland or Norway. The UK will be closely aligned to the EU customs union on goods.
    Not quite.

May’s Deal gets the UK out of the EU but into a transition period.

If, at the end of that transition period, there is no future relationship set, then the UK is effectively into No Deal (with a backstop for NI, and without any option to revoke A50).

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Not quite.

May’s Deal gets the UK out of the EU but into a transition period.

If, at the end of that transition period, there is no future relationship set, then the UK is effectively into No Deal (with a backstop for NI, and without any option to revoke A50).
      The political declaration won't change much, and if no deal doesn't happen now it won't happen in two years either. There will be an extension to the transition.

If the ERG fail now, it's game over. The parliamentary arithmetic won't change. The backstop ensures the entire UK remains in the customs union, not just Northern Ireland.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Bugger. I got me EFTA mixed up with me EEA. My bad.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Regardless of whether we’re currently in EFTA or not, though, presumably this means that you’re in favour of May’s Deal?

Gets us out of the EU, with a two-year transition period where we could move formally into EFTA?
          I could live with that, under certain circumstances.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            They have us currently. I do agree that EFTA should have been near the top of the list when we started the process, it's not perfect but it's far more palatable than EU membership.
            Can't see that on this list:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Can't see that on this list:
              I was referring to the negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                I was referring to the negotiations.
                That's the problem with Brexit, no one has actually been specific what it is have they?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  That's the problem with Brexit, no one has actually been specific what it is have they?

Sent from my CLIT using pussy power
                  ftfy

Comment

Down to 50-ish. I don’t think we’ll need to build that wall to keep them out of London.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      I'm a pre-pubescent teenager along with those who think my jokes are funny
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X