• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Bercow blocks 3rd meaningful vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May 'can't resubmit same Brexit deal for third meaningful vote' | Metro News

I suppose the logical step would be to amend the bill with a requirement for a public vote.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It is possible to be too much of a stickler for the rules given the parlous state of affairs.

Comment

I am not, I repeat not, Meaningful Vote 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It is possible to be too much of a stickler for the rules given the parlous state of affairs.
          I think he's shown on many occasions not to be a "stickler for the rules" for the sake of it. His judgement seemed reasonable to me and it would only lose again.

Comment

So cannot vote again on May's deal without substantial changes.
            Therefore two options left, revoke A50 and cancel Brexit or long extension to the process, which has to be agreed (unanimously) by EU.

If you were the EU, what would you do to scupper Brexit? That's right, no A50 deadline extension.

As "no deal" is off the table, there is only one outcome, Brexit is cancelled.

EU wins, remoaner May wins (and can resign and go on a permanent holiday), project fear merchants win.

win, win, win. So many cheering winners it will be deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              So cannot vote again on May's deal without substantial changes.
              Therefore two options left, revoke A50 and cancel Brexit or long extension to the process, which has to be agreed (unanimously) by EU.

If you were the EU, what would you do to scupper Brexit? That's right, no A50 deadline extension.

EU wins, remoaner May wins (and can resign and go on a permanent holiday), project fear merchants win.

win, win, win. So many cheering winners it will be deafening.
              No Deal isn’t off the table yet. Parliament may have voted against it, but under law it remains the default option.

An extension is possible, but needs to be requested first. There’s no request gone in yet. It’s possible that the EU could unilaterally offer one, but this seems remote given the utterances from eg Verhofstadt.

May was a reluctant remainder. She was hardly a cheerleader. If she has any ideology at all, it’s anti-immigration. Her deal or no deal suits her.

Don’t put away your popcorn just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                It's not off the table, it's on the table as the only current option since legislation was already passed and Withdrawal Agreement was a "nice have" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It's not off the table, it's on the table as the only current option since legislation was already passed and Withdrawal Agreement was a "nice have" thing.
                  Dim is busy feeling sorry for himself. It's a necessary step for a paranoid professional victim before crying, 'Stab in the back.'

All very premature. In chess parlance, there is still plenty of 'play' in the position.

Comment

Brexiteers are marching on Westminster.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X