• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than 500,000 people sign petition to scrap Brexit and remain in EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    2,783,605 signatures and counting. Gammons starting to feel the heat. Bloodpressure is rising and faces starting to colour purple which brings them in to post gammon state.
    So what.

The petition requires 100,000 signatures for it to be discussed in parliament.

May has discussed it and said no.

People who continue to vote now are simply wasting electrons.

But I imagine they are to fooking triggered to notice that.

[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      So what.

The petition requires 100,000 signatures for it to be discussed in parliament.

May has discussed it and said no.
      May is not Parliament. She would like to be, it she is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Exactly. I only signed it to troll the gammons. It is a silly idea, although the fact that May dismisses it is of limited relevance.

If A50 is to be withdrawn, It can only be after another referendum. But a second referendum with remain on the ballot paper would be ill advised. It should be about how the UK leaves. An EFTA type model should be one option. The other a Canada type model. This should have been set out a long time ago but here we are.
        Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        I would agree, but the No Deal option, which still remains as a legitimate default, should also be on the ballot paper. Let the people decide.
        Don't get religious about the No Deal. Pretty much every no deal supporter would rather have Canada plus, but it has not been negotiated, so the ERG has fallen back on on deal. The problem with Canada is that the EU may not entertain it as it would breach the GFA. In that case, the options are EFTA type model or No Deal.
        I’m not sure what you guys are smoking this morning, but it looks like you’re mixing metaphors, so to speak:

- Revoking A50 does not require a referendum
        - any talk about whether we go for EFTA, Canada, etc is about the future relationship. Which option the U.K. goes for will need to be determined whether we go for May’s Deal or No Deal.
        - “let the people decide” implies a binding referendum, not an advisory one. Parliament is sovereign.

Any referendum in the future might have EFTA or Canada or No Deal With The EU on it, but that’s for the future. The only question available now is Revoke, May’s Deal, or No Withdrawal Agreement. With an additional option now (thanks to the EU) of Extend for a longer period if the WA is not approved.

Comment

See below. Stop obsessing over this two stage withdrawal agreement then future relationship business.

I’m not sure what you guys are smoking this morning, but it looks like you’re mixing metaphors, so to speak:

Nobody said it does from a legal respective but from a political and democratic perspective it would be madness.
          - any talk about whether we go for EFTA, Canada, etc is about the future relationship. Which option the U.K. goes for will need to be determined whether we go for May’s Deal or No Deal.
          the withdrawal agreement is too messy and solves almost nothing. Time to stop kicking the can down the road and agree the future relationship. Should be easy enough if an off the shelf model.
          - “let the people decide” implies a binding referendum, not an advisory one. Parliament is sovereign.

the sovereignty of parliament is such that it can pass an act with some terms to be decided by a referendum.

Any referendum in the future might have EFTA or Canada or No Deal With The EU on it, but that’s for the future. The only question available now is Revoke, May’s Deal, or No Withdrawal Agreement. With an additional option now (thanks to the EU) of Extend for a longer period if the WA is not approved.[/QUOTE]

we are clearly talking about the future. Agree to hold European elections. Then decide to hold a referendum for the future relationship. Then agree two options that the EU will accept, and put the on ballot paper. Or agree one option the EU will accept and put that on ballot paper alongside no deal.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Any referendum in the future might have EFTA or Canada or No Deal With The EU on it, but that’s for the future. The only question available now is Revoke, May’s Deal, or No Withdrawal Agreement. With an additional option now (thanks to the EU) of Extend for a longer period if the WA is not approved.
            THIS ^^^^^^

and with 3M, and growing, saying revoke A.50, they're going to have to pay attention.
            I'll say it again, this is not abouit Brexit anymore. It's about the party.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              THIS ^^^^^^

and with 3M, and growing, saying revoke A.50, they're going to have to pay attention.
              I like to see a triggered gammon as much as the next smug metropolitan elitist, but to withdraw A50 without even a referendum would be a serious outrage against democracy.

Comment

THIS ^^^^^^

It's more then that the ERG and Tories know they are toast at the next election, which is why they need May to resign so they can start implementing their version of a hard Brexit or take control of negotiating beyond the back stop.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with that. There were 17M voted for it so not sure why 3M should a difference now.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I like to see a triggered gammon as much as the next smug metropolitan elitist, but to withdraw A50 without even a referendum would be a serious outrage against democracy.
                    OTOH, it would have been sensible to perhaps do some homework before putting it to the parliamentary vote. The democratically elected sovereign parliament dropped the ball badly there.

I doubt the petition will get very high. Also, British expats who've been away for more than 15 years, British people who haven't registered to vote and non-British British residents can sign it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      OTOH, it would have been sensible to perhaps do some homework before putting it to the parliamentary vote. The democratically elected sovereign parliament dropped the ball badly there.

I doubt the petition will get very high. Also, British expats who've been away for more than 15 years, British people who haven't registered to vote and non-British British residents can sign it.
                      Agree that it is a mess but ignoring the outcome of the referendum is a bad solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X