• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU takes control: Humiliated Theresa May is given just a two week extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humiliated Theresa May is given just a two week extension to Brexit until April 12 | Daily Mail Online

Are they crushed yet?

(From 2017)

Comment

It's nice to see that the UK still has friends in Europe. This offer gives a much needed escape route from the disaster capitalists' No Deal wet dream.

Comment

EU makes logical sense shocker. They don't want brexit to go beyond declaring interest in EU elections (April) if UK leaving before the elections are due (May). No idea why May though June was a good date to request.

May has no plan B she will keep putting the same plan to the same vote until she gets enough MPs to back it, either by bribery (DUP more money) or fear ('my deal or no deal'). Wouldn't surprise me if she goes for a daily vote on her deal next week as the numbers slowly come around to it being accepted. She is not interested in anything else which is why she could offer no other contingency plan when asked by the EU leaders what happens if her deal is voted down again. Answer she wanted to give "I'll keep asking for a new vote until it's accepted, they don't want no deal so have no option but to accept my deal".

If somehow the MPs grow a backbone and go for something else such as ousting May, voting for a referendum or forcing a GE, the EU will offer a long extension to allow someone else to try to get May's deal through as the terms won't get any better in terms of a clean break so any future deal will either be softer brexit or May's deal in a different name.

May will win by attrition. The advantage of being a maybot with only one program which is currently set to "accept my deal".
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          EU makes logical sense shocker. They don't want brexit to go beyond declaring interest in EU elections (April) if UK leaving before the elections are due (May). No idea why May though June was a good date to request.

May has no plan B she will keep putting the same plan to the same vote until she gets enough MPs to back it, either by bribery (DUP more money) or fear ('my deal or no deal'). Wouldn't surprise me if she goes for a daily vote on her deal next week as the numbers slowly come around to it being accepted. She is not interested in anything else which is why she could offer no other contingency plan when asked by the EU leaders what happens if her deal is voted down again. Answer she wanted to give "I'll keep asking for a new vote until it's accepted, they don't want no deal so have no option but to accept my deal".

If somehow the MPs grow a backbone and go for something else such as ousting May, voting for a referendum or forcing a GE, the EU will offer a long extension to allow someone else to try to get May's deal through as the terms won't get any better in terms of a clean break so any future deal will either be softer brexit or May's deal in a different name.

May will win by attrition. The advantage of being a maybot with only one program which is currently set to "accept my deal".
          Forcing A GE now can only result in a no deal as we are legally, as of today, still leaving on the 29th March. Until both UK and EU law is changed that is the default position.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Forcing A GE now can only result in a no deal as we are legally, as of today, still leaving on the 29th March. Until both UK and EU law is changed that is the default position.
            Except it might not be.....

No Deal Brexit may be unlawful - a view from Rose Slowe - UK Human Rights Blog
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Wow, you're on a roll today. Nope, wrong again ... try to work out why a GE would not lead to a no-deal crash out
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Correct and we should simply leave, deal or no deal, the consequences will have to be managed but down the road we'll be glad we went through the pain of leaving. The politicians have been woeful, negligent and lazy but leaving is what we must do. Brexit isn't a party political thing and should have been handled by a cross party coalition from the beginning. Number 10 acting like they owned the problem and the MP's and other parties carping from the side lines instead of being proactive was always going to be a disaster but now they'll need to get a spine. Not holding my breath on that but we will be better out than in especially as we've now soured the milk

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Wow, you're on a roll today. Nope, wrong again ... try to work out why a GE would not lead to a no-deal crash out
                  It all depends on how the GE is enabled. If a vote of no confidence in the government is raised and it wins. The government effectively steps down immediately and no further legislation can be passed (including changing the date of our departure). There is then a two week period with an interim government with no effective power to change anything before parliament is dissolved and a GE process started. There are less than 2 weeks to go to the 29th March which under the above scenario means we leave with no deal on the 29th March. I agree its a high stakes gamble, but it gives JC what he desires most.

Comment

It all depends on how the GE is enabled. If a vote of no confidence in the government is raised and it wins. The government effectively steps down immediately and no further legislation can be passed (including changing the date of our departure). There is then a two week period with an interim government with no effective power to change anything before parliament is dissolved and a GE process started. There are less than 2 weeks to go to the 29th March which under the above scenario means we leave with no deal on the 29th March. I agree its a high stakes gamble, but it gives JC what he desires most.
                    Parliament can create almost any rule it likes as long as it is not dissolved.

It would be neater however to extend the date of departure and then hold the vote of no confidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X