• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Metropolitan elites telling us what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    toe

Towing the line would involve moving it to another place. The government certainly don't want their backbenchers to move the line they set in place.

I've some good news for you. You're wrong. You can do something about it.

You can write to your MP and ministers.
    You can find MPs who agree with you and ask them to support you
    You can join your local favourite political party.

I did; "The Popular Peoples Liberation Front of the East Riding of Yorkshire"

All donations gratefully received.

You can give evidence to parliamentary committees if you've something relevant to say.
    It wasn't me, big boy did it and ran away
    You can organise protests - e.g. petitions, demonstrations, marches, facebook campaigns ()
    sounds like stuff snowflakes do
    You can start letter writing campaigns.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, unless the other guy is holding a sword
    You can chain yourself to railings outside Downing street to publicise your cause
    What I do on a weekend is my own business and not for public entertainment
    You can lecture in Hyde Park.
    That's DARN SARF init?
    You can send money to people who are more active in your cause.
    I'm a Yorkshireman! What is this "send Money to people" of which you speak?

All of these things, and more, are legitimate ways of exercising your democratic freedom. In fact, not to get involved in some of these activities - even in a small way - over things that are important to you, is the real undemocratic behaviour.

There are illegitimate ways as well that can be quite effective. But probably best not to discuss those!

Cabinet decide government direction. If an individual member cannot agree with that, they must perforce resign. But to say they must follow government direction is silly. They are, to all intents and purposes, the government. You might as well say the PM must follow the PMs direction. True, but doesn't actually add any useful information.
    For your entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      They were democratically elected by their constituents at the last GE, and the Tory Party is currently party that forms the government of this country. The backroom deal as you put it are just politics, after all TM is meeting JC today for very similar discussions. It is perfectly acceptable for an organisation to get its 'story' straight within itself before going into discussions/meeting with other organisations on the same topic.

Or is it just that you have a problem with democracy.
      We would love to but unfortunately the 500 odd remainers in the UK parliament won't let this happen. We have an agreed deal with the EU. It might not be the best deal, It might not be to everyones liking, but it is the deal that is agreed with the EU. Let's just get on with it an move on.
      Come on fella, get your argument straight. On one thread you argue that we voted these MPs in and therefore we should allow democracy to run and let these MPs decide on our behalf, then on another thread you say that the MPs are mostly remainers and not allowing democracy as they won't sign off May's deal.

So what do you prefer, the current MPs making the decisions that they feel right and you're happy with that, or that only 150 or so brexit MPs make all decisions for you/us?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        Come on fella, get your argument straight. On one thread you argue that we voted these MPs in and therefore we should allow democracy to run and let these MPs decide on our behalf, then on another thread you say that the MPs are mostly remainers and not allowing democracy as they won't sign off May's deal.

So what do you prefer, the current MPs making the decisions that they feel right and you're happy with that, or that only 150 or so brexit MPs make all decisions for you/us?
        Do you not think it would be good and honourable for MPs to stand by the manifesto on which they were elected then?

Comment

Do you not think it would be good and honourable for MPs to stand by the manifesto on which they were elected then?
          You probably mean the Conservative manifesto. The Labour manifesto explicitly ruled out no deal.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Labour’s manifesto went out of date the day they lost the election. SNP and Lib Dems are sticking to theirs. The DUP, who knows.

Which just leaves the minority government of the Conservatives.

Clue is in the word “minority”.

What other manifesto promises have the Conservatives stuck to and implemented since 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You probably mean the Conservative manifesto. The Labour manifesto explicitly ruled out no deal.
              Well that's nice

and if the EU do not agree to a deal then the Labour manifesto goes against the democratic vote

so fook em.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I mean the manifesto, regardless of political party, on which they were elected as an MP. i.e. the promises they made to the public at the time of the GE.

Given you response I take that you think it is fine for any MP to renege of any promises they made to the public at the time of a GE.

Comment

I mean the manifesto, regardless of political party, on which they were elected as an MP. i.e. the promises they made to the public at the time of the GE.

Given you response I take that you think it is fine for any MP to renege of any promises they made to the public at the time of a GE.
                  Why do you think that a political party manifesto is still valid even if that party is not in Government?

Comment

Labour promised not to allow a no-deal Brexit at the GE.

They promised a Brino. It's in black and white in their manifesto.

They should adhere to their promises at the GE.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

The answer is to vote Labour at the next election as they are not breaking their election promises unlike the Tories.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X