• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confirmatory referendum or customs union

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    All MPs voted for submitting Article 50 to the EU.

HTH BIDI
    No, they voted to give the PM authority to do so. They did not instruct her on when she should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      No, they voted to give the PM authority to do so. They did not instruct her on when she should do it.
      But it was their wish that she should submit A50 was it not. She just followed their wishes. Parliament is, was, and always will be, in total control thanks to Gina Millar

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        But it was their wish that she should submit A50 was it not. She just followed their wishes. Parliament is, was, and always will be, in total control thanks to Gina Millar
        Parliament voted to confer the power on her to invoke A50 as she sees fit in response to the Gina Millar case.

That act did not specify when she had to invoke it. She set the date, nobody else did.

European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 - Wikipedia

Comment

Parliament is, was, and always will be, in total control as per the U.K. constitution as confirmed by the judiciary in the Miller case
          FTFY.

Gina Miller didn’t change our Parliamentary control, she merely set the case for the court to confirm what the constitution agrees.

Comment

Who is fretting. All yesterday demonstrated was that our MPs are not fit for purpose. Hypocrites the lot of them.
            Not at all, MPs reflect the opinion in the country.

36% of the electorate voted for Brexit, 34% voted for remain and 30% didn't have an opinion.

That is roughly the case the house of commons. A third firm remain, a third firm Brexit and a third could go either way.

This is the problem when a referendum gets passed on 50% of those who actually turn out. A constitutional change should have a much higher hurdle such as more than 50% of the electorate. If that had been the case Brexit would have passed smoothly through the House of Commons after a GE.

Labour campaigned for a form of Brexit which means they can fully justify opposing May's deal otherwise they would be reneging on their manifesto.

The fact is in the UK, the Brexiteers simply don't have the numbers. They need to come up with a plan to convince enough "don't knows", and they don't. Their Brexit is too bad.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Boris Johnson to vote against May's deal

Mark Francois has said he would not back the deal even “if they put a shotgun in my mouth”
              The only game in town is the Customs Union on Monday, otherwise it will be an exciting cliff edge between no deal and "Extenshun".

This could be a huge boost to my "pro Brexit" portfolio.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Compromise is needed, but these fools don't know how to do that. Sensible solution would be to take the 1 or 2 favoured options from last night (Ken Clarke and Labour?) and vote on favoured. This then goes head to head with May's deal. Most likely Ken's deal will win that.

Then, parliament vote on whether they put that leave option back to the people vs Remain. Before leave whingers start on, 'no deal' is not an option as it has minority support so don't even go there.

Personally, I'd prefer parliament to select and not offer a choice back to the people. Whether this is May's deal, or Ken's deal, pick one and let's move forward. And I say this even though I think under a people's confirmation vote remain would actually win.

Process should therefore be ...

1) Whittle down 8 options to 1 (probably Ken Clarke CU)
                2) MPs option vs May (straight vote - highest votes win. Abstain counts as zero as it did in the actual ref)
                3) Decide to place final option vs Remain back to people. If yes go to 4, if no go to 5.
                4) Ref Final option vs Remain. If Final option, continue leave process. If Remain, go to 5
                5) Revoke A50

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Time of an It's a Knockout solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X