• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ayes to the right 286 Noes to the left 344

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ayes to the right 286 Noes to the left
    Reminds me of The Charge of the Light Brigade poem:

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them

Much better idea, mow down the lot of them. Government was much better when you won arguments by slaughtering your opponents.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The only viable option is a GE.

I don't see how a general election solves anything, as the new government of whatever colour still has to decide what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        I don't see how a general election solves anything, as the new government of whatever colour still has to decide what to do.
        In theory the elected MPs would vote based on the manifesto that won them the seat. Bonus being that it would probably wrestle the inordinate power away from the DUP.

Trouble is that if the voters were similar to the referendum there would still be a hung parliament.

Though as only no deal is true brexit the remainers, who appear to have grown in number since the public saw what a shambles the MPs are handling brexit, would likely command a majority and therefore ensure UK remains in EU on better terms than any of the 'not really brexit' brexit deals they'll come up with. The EU ain't gonna give them a good deal so only no deal or remain make sense.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

More importantly any option will now require a long extension and European elections. The momentum is draining away from this demented project and it will drain still further.

All the celebration parties and memorabilia for 'Britain's independence day', i.e. today, are in the toilet.
          Last edited by zerosum; 29 March 2019, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Though as only no deal is true brexit
            No it’s not. It was never mentioned by the official Leave campaign as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              No it’s not. It was never mentioned by the official Leave campaign as an option.
              Maybe not using the actual words of No Deal, but a lot of what is stated in the leaflet (WTO Rules) is indicative of No Deal

"We regain an independent voice in world trade negotiations with independent voting rights at the World Trade Organisation (unlike now)."

“WE’RE NOT HERE TO MAKE A SINGLE MARKET – THAT DOESN’T INTEREST ME - BUT TO MAKE A POLITICAL UNION.” - JACQUES DELORS, 1993

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...hq-mar16-2.pdf
              Last edited by Yorkie62; 29 March 2019, 18:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                Maybe not using the actual words of No Deal, but a lot of what is stated in the leaflet (WTO Rules) is indicative of No Deal

"We regain an independent voice in world trade negotiations with independent voting rights at the World Trade Organisation (unlike now)."

“WE’RE NOT HERE TO MAKE A SINGLE MARKET – THAT DOESN’T INTEREST ME - BUT TO MAKE A POLITICAL UNION.” - JACQUES DELORS, 1993

Come off it. It's like if remain had won and were now pushing for us to join the euro and schengen. Sinister and cynical bait and switch.

Comment

Ayes to the right 286 Noes to the left 344

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post

You’re confusing leaving with No Deal, and the future trading relationship with the EU. No Deal refers to the Withdrawal Agreement.

There is no literature that says we will trigger A50 and then leave the EU without a negotiated exit agreement.

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The DUP have come clean this evening, with a statement that the Union is more important than Brexit.

Basically they've realised Brexit won't work for them. The only alternative they could support would have to include a Customs Union, to ensure they don't end up under a bus at the end of Brexit.

Looks like "Extenshun".

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X