• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The nucleus of the leaver mentality: Simplism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nucleus of the leaver mentality: Simplism

Thread by @rolandmcs: "I’ve previously described the ‘nucleus’ of Brexitism as wanting to uncouple the UK from the push towards ‘a country called Europe'. But ther […]"

Very much former leaver Roland Smith is one of the most perspicacious commentators on this whole farrago.

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    This is a modern version of the pre-2016 "Brexit Plan Conundrum" i.e. the moment one puts flesh on the bones of any Brexit plan, the support for that plan vanishes.

Observers need to google "Nirvana Fallacy". That's where we are.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Seems like a well adjusted young man, now tell me why his opinion matters?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Seems like a well adjusted young man, now tell me why his opinion matters?
        Because his entire thoughtful journey from liberal leaver to supporter of a second referendum (and lately revocation) is documented on Twitter. He's influenced a lot of remainers and appears in one of the most recent remainiacs podcast episodes.

Does his opinion matter? Does anyone's? I think what's interesting is the fact that he's pinpointed many tropes of leaver thinking (particularly liberal) from a sympathetic point of view, but also some of the cognitive errors involved. He takes plenty of potshots at the other side too.
        Last edited by zerosum; 2 April 2019, 13:35.

Comment

Because his entire thoughtful journey from liberal leaver to supporter of a second referendum (and lately revocation) is documented on Twitter. He's influenced a lot of remainers and appears in one of the most recent remainiacs podcast episodes.

Does his opinion matter? Does anyone's? I think what's interesting is the fact that he's pinpointed many tropes of leaver thinking (particularly liberal) from a sympathetic point of view, but also some of the cognitive errors involved. He takes plenty of potshots at the other side too.
          Right, so he can't make his mind up and he is on twitter posting about it. You can't make this stuff up. When did reasoned argument and evidence fly out of the window.

I think critical thinking should be made part of the national curriculum. It's clear even the technically inclined members of our esteemed website have trouble thinking logically.

At least you didn't say he was on Instagram and has lost 400 lbs and we should make him our pan-sexual leader on all things political.

Comment

Right, so he can't make his mind up and he is on twitter posting about it. You can't make this stuff up. When did reasoned argument and evidence fly out of the window.

I think critical thinking should be made part of the national curriculum. It's clear even the technically inclined members of our esteemed website have trouble thinking logically.

At least you didn't say he was on Instagram and has lost 400 lbs and we should make him our pan-sexual leader on all things political.
            You didn't read between the lines, did you?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

You may need help.

Comment

You may need help.
                well I'm not the one linking to titalating, tiny, teenie, twitter tweets to pwove my pwoint.

I may need help.

Comment

Britain First. Simples.

Comment

Where did you get the 'he can't make his mind up' bit? I suggest you read a few of his threads and see if your facile assumption that he can't engage in reasoned argument with evidence holds up. Spoiler - it really doesn't. What a bizarre and self-satisfied post.

Comment

Working...
                    X