• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The EU paves the way....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Which solves the problem from the last referendum of which currency they would use, provides jobs to local workers, and the Scottish Parliament are actively encouraging and supporting FoM so that won’t be a problem (not to mention that it would provide FoM for Scottish people throughout the rest of the EU).

Not quite thought this through, have you?
    So essentially things are much the same as they would have been in 2014. Remind me, how did THAT once-in-a-generation vote play out?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      So essentially things are much the same as they would have been in 2014. Remind me, how did THAT once-in-a-generation vote play out?

Not the same at all. There was no suggestion of any EU “fleet” in 2014, and FoM was a given back then - there was no threat that it was going to be removed.

Plus, of course, there’s the major difference of the impression that England is forcing Scotland to leave the EU against it’s wishes.

I don’t have a particular drum to beat in this either way, but you can hardly say that it is the same as 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Nobody says England won't trade with Scotland. That is just your Brexiteer style self pitying paranoia talking (aka talking nonsense). However, an independent Scotland in the EU may End up with a hard border with England.
        They do and have said it actually. A threat that we would lose our biggest trading partner. I agree that its nonsense to say that.

We would be in the EU so would have the same trading arrangements as the rest of the EU with rUK.

We might have a hard border if rUK has a no deal with the EU. If they have some sort of customs union with the EU then it won't be as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Not to mention a currency called the Euro, elements of the impending EU Nuclear fleet located at Faslane, and FOM just for starters.

Personally I'm not against the Euro but that myth that we would be forced to use it has been busted. e.g. Sweden is in the EU but hasn't started using the Euro.

Fact: An Independent Scotland would not have to use the euro. – Business for Scotland

We'll use whichever currency you use to buy our oil, water, gas, electricity, whisky,...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            FTFY.
            Once you've eaten all the cats, dogs, rats, etc., you'll be happy to buy some haggis from us too

Comment

Working...
            X