• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero chance of a sensible Brexit amidst the pandemonium and hysteria at Westminster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gammon62 View Post
    I wasn't aware that I had any friends in the ERG, or any other politically affiliated group for that matter.
    Let me rephrase for you. Nothing to say about the leavers in the ERG, who have blocked Brexit?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Re your addendum to original post: Yvette Cooper is not trying to block Brexit, she is trying to block no deal and extend Article 50. This gives time for the adults to sort out the children's mess while the children shout about Perfidious Albion on speed.
      And if that extension commits us to running EU elections whilst throwing away any democratic voting rights in the EU parliament whilst continuing to pay our subscriptions in full while we retain our EU membership. You are happy with that? Its rhetorical question for you as you don't live in the UK and therefore have no relevant opinion on this matter.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

And if that extension commits us to running EU elections whilst throwing away any democratic voting rights in the EU parliament whilst continuing to pay our subscriptions in full while we retain our EU membership. You are happy with that? Its rhetorical question for you as you don't live in the UK and therefore have no relevant opinion on this matter.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
        I am a British citizen and voter so my opinion is relevant, even if that makes you cross. If you don't like British democracy, too bad.

Given the current mess, an extension is the best thing. And EU citizens in the UK will continue to be democratically represented in the European parliament.

Comment

I am a British citizen and voter so my opinion is relevant, even if that makes you cross. If you don't like British democracy, too bad.

Given the current mess, an extension is the best thing. And EU citizens in the UK will continue to be democratically represented in the European parliament.
          Not if we don't have any voting rights we don't. Its what you voted for so own it

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Fine, then let us own it. Let us leave this Friday with or without a deal. It is the remainers in parliament that refuse to let the Brexiteers own the decision. It is the remainers that are without doubt to blame for the current abomination. If you want Brexiteers to own Brexit then let us leave on Friday. Let me know if you want Brexiteers to own this problem or are you happy to continue with the status quo.
            Yeah, nah. If a toddler is having a tantrum and wants to burn the house down, I’m not going to give him the matches.

Not if we don't have any voting rights we don't. Its what you voted for so own it
            Tosh. We’ll still be full members of the EU, with all existing voting rights.

Comment

I haven't been following the news closely so may have missed something. Are UK voting rights disappearing if there is an extension?

Comment

I haven't been following the news closely so may have missed something. Are UK voting rights disappearing if there is an extension?
                No they are not as far as the Eu parliament is concerned, but they may be blocked from vetoing important decisions, because JRM suggested to do that in a tweet.

I think if the UK participates in the next EU parliament elections, the UK MEPs should only vote on issues that impact the UK for the remaining duration of the membership, in a similar fashion as the SNP usually only votes on issues that impact Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  No they are not as far as the Eu parliament is concerned, but they may be blocked from vetoing important decisions, because JRM suggested to do that in a tweet.

I think if the UK participates in the next EU parliament elections, the UK MEPs should only vote on issues that impact the UK for the remaining duration of the membership, in a similar fashion as the SNP usually only votes on issues that impact Scotland
                  It’s likely that that wouldn’t stand up in the ECJ. As long as the UK is a full member, the treaty rights cannot be deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

And all Remainers think this is an acceptable state of affairs do they? Or maybe we should just leave on Friday.

Comment

And all Remainers think this is an acceptable state of affairs do they?
                      Of course! The EU can be fully trusted to help us whereever possible, just like it has the last 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X