• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK needs a new national anthem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    I'm 1/4 English, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 Jewish and 1/2 Welsh.

but yes, I am being pedantic. But I'm just countering the tendency for the English to refer to the UK as England
    Since 'you are a pedantic person, since when is jewish a nationality why don't you say 1/4 catholic, 1/8 jewish etc?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      You should probably let Wikipedia know:

God Save the Queen - Wikipedia
      Wikipedia isn't written by those with Celtic origins.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Since 'you are a pedantic person, since when is jewish a nationality why don't you say 1/4 catholic, 1/8 jewish etc?
        I'm referring to my ancestry not my nationality, which is British as I hold a British passport.

Comment

UK needs a new national anthem

Wikipedia isn't written by those with Celtic origins.
          Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t.

That doesn’t make it wrong.
          Last edited by meridian; 15 April 2019, 11:05.

Comment

That doesn’t make it wrong.
            I have had occasion to correct incorrect information published on Wiki. Given that it's partially constructed from submissions from the public, it can indeed be wrong at times.

Have a read of "Operation Pluto" on Wiki and I'll tell you what is incorrect.
            Last edited by JohntheBike; 15 April 2019, 11:11.

Comment

I have had occasion to correct incorrect information published on Wiki. Given that it's partially constructed from submissions from the public, it can indeed be wrong at times.

Have a read of "Operation Pluto" on Wiki and I'll tell you what is incorrect.
              I didn’t say it was right, either. What I said was that your assertion that it wasn’t written by a Celt doesn’t make it wrong.

On balance though, given that that is the anthem played when the United Kingdom participates as a single entity (eg the Olympics), I’m more inclined to believe that in this instance it is correct.

Unless you have any actual evidence otherwise, rather than just an assertion?

Comment

But I'm just countering the tendency for the English to refer to the UK as England
                Why? You were the only one in this thread to mention England.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I didn’t say it was right, either. What I said was that your assertion that it wasn’t written by a Celt doesn’t make it wrong.

On balance though, given that that is the anthem played when the United Kingdom participates as a single entity (eg the Olympics), I’m more inclined to believe that in this instance it is correct.

Unless you have any actual evidence otherwise, rather than just an assertion?
                  Wiki can be wrong as I've indicated. But it's good to liven up the debate!

Comment

Wiki can be wrong as I've indicated. But it's good to liven up the debate!
                    And in this case it’s not.

It’s hardly a debate if you can’t stump up any more than that. If you are a pedant, as you claim, you’re not a very good one.....

Comment

And in this case it’s not.

I didn't say it was, but it can be, has been and is now on other issues.

It’s hardly a debate if you can’t stump up any more than that. If you are a pedant, as you claim, you’re not a very good one.....
                      and I never claimed to be!

Comment

Working...
                      X