• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK needs a new national anthem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    so what's your point?

sorry, i'll rephrase that, - what's the point of you?
    I think he is inneresting.....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      I didn’t say it was right, either. What I said was that your assertion that it wasn’t written by a Celt doesn’t make it wrong.

On balance though, given that that is the anthem played when the United Kingdom participates as a single entity (eg the Olympics), I’m more inclined to believe that in this instance it is correct.

Unless you have any actual evidence otherwise, rather than just an assertion?
      The only thing I know of where the United Kingdom participates as a single entity is the Eurovision Song Contest

The Olympics and other sporting events are under the Great Britain team name.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        The only thing I know of where the United Kingdom participates as a single entity is the Eurovision Song Contest

well, there you go, one up for the pedants!

note no one has yet challenged me over my statement that Wiki can be, has been and is incorrect on some issues.
        Last edited by JohntheBike; 15 April 2019, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

note no one has yet challenged me over my statement that Wiki can be, has been and is incorrect on some issues.
          It's well known that Wiki can be edited and quite a few times it has been from IPs in Westminster trying to cover up scandals.

Wikipedia edits from inside Parliament removing scandals from MPs' pages, investigation finds | The Independent

There is a Twitter handle that logs them all - @parliamentedits

Comment

It's well known that Wiki can be edited and quite a few times it has been from IPs in Westminster trying to cover up scandals.

Wikipedia edits from inside Parliament removing scandals from MPs' pages, investigation finds | The Independent

There is a Twitter handle that logs them all - @parliamentedits
            This doesn't surprise me. However, I was only referring to so called "factual" entries, which often are far from being so. The example I quote of "Operation Pluto" being one such.

Comment

I thought that this might be a good point well made. But then I looked it up

Great Britain at the Olympics - Wikipedia

Athletes from the United Kingdom, all but three of its overseas territories, and the three Crown dependencies, compete in the Olympic Games as part of the team Great Britain or Team GB.

While the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and BOA both refer to the team as 'Great Britain' and the team uses the brand name Team GB, the BOA explains that it is a contraction of the full title, the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.

Comment

That’s because it’s irrelevant to you being wrong.

Comment

That’s because it’s irrelevant to you being wrong.
                  wrong about what? that Wiki is often wrong?

Comment

I thought that this might be a good point well made. But then I looked it up

Great Britain at the Olympics - Wikipedia
                    note not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland then.

Comment

note not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland then.
                      The first 5 words are literally “Athletes from the United Kingdom”.

Comment

Working...
                      X