• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good to see the Left Wing of Politics in action...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Maybe that is what Emma Thompson thinks 1st Class on BA is powered by and that is why she can offset her carbon footprint from BA first class air ticket from London to the USA. What's worse is that Extinction Rebellion have said it's OK for her to fly 1st class and make such a huge Carbon footprint. What a load of hypocrites.
    Half the people in the extinction rebellion were tweeting about their skiing holidays earlier in the year..

this is what happens when mummy and daddy earn too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Half the people in the extinction rebellion were tweeting about their skiing holidays earlier in the year..

Not inevitably. Although my kids enjoy their skiing holidays, they don't tweet and they think Extinction Rebellion are a bunch of deluded idiots.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes - not all rich kids are fook wits...

not all extinction rebellion are rich kids...

but we all love to generalise!

Comment

but we all love to generalise!
          Precisely, now how about some facts to back up your generalisations...I hope you can see what I've done there
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Precisely, now how about some facts to back up your generalisations...I hope you can see what I've done there
            Indeed I can.

But the average working class person cannot take 2 weeks from their job/other commitments to sit around London Museums - they would starve you see because they would not be earning money to feed themselves.....

So while there may be some hardcore crusties who live off the land doing their bit - but there will be an significant %age of people spending mummy and daddies money to try and rebel against the exact thing which allows them to be rich by spending mummy and daddies money.

Comment

Indeed I can.

But the average working class person cannot take 2 weeks from their job/other commitments to sit around London Museums - they would starve you see because they would not be earning money to feed themselves.....

So while there may be some hardcore crusties who live off the land doing their bit - but there will be an significant %age of people spending mummy and daddies money to try and rebel against the exact thing which allows them to be rich by spending mummy and daddies money.

Really?

How on earth did people ever go on strike, if they couldn’t take time off?

Never mind the concept of annual leave, or leave without pay.....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Really?

How on earth did people ever go on strike, if they couldn’t take time off?

Never mind the concept of annual leave, or leave without pay.....
                People could go on strike in the 70's and 80's because they weren't upto their eyeballs in debt on credit cards. That is why the unions are so reluctant to call for a strike action ballot these days because they know they are likely to lose it.

Comment

People could go on strike in the 70's and 80's because they weren't upto their eyeballs in debt on credit cards. That is why the unions are so reluctant to call for a strike action ballot these days because they know they are likely to lose it.
                  You make it sound like a summer holiday back then. Levels of debt may have been different, but so were many other things - mortgage interest rates, attitudes of banks to missing a payment or two, three day weeks, inflation/stagflation, etc.

My point isn’t to undermine their reasons for striking, it’s simply to show that regardless of the economic circumstances, people will strike/rally/etc if they feel strongly enough about something.

Dismissing the climate change protesters as being “middle class and able to afford it” is lazy stereotyping, just as “striking because they’re workshy” was in the 70s/80s.

Comment

agreed and this was a master plan by the grey suits in Whitehall and enacted by Mrs. Thatcher.

However, my tuppence worth -

Irrespective of their financial position, I guess the protesters don't seem to have a grasp of reality.

Nothing happens in this World unless someone benefits. So unless someone or group is likely to benefit financially from the "Global warming" ideology, then nothing real will be done to slow it down. We are in the natural cycle of warming after an ice age, but I guess it could be argued that human activity is accelerating this.

When I was a child, the majority of liquids were dispensed in glass bottles, e.g. beer, cider, milk and fizzy soft drinks. Glass is clearly very re-recyclable. Later we were able to buy beer and cider in cans, either aluminium or steel (tin plated) cans. Again very recyclable. However, I understand that with the advent of plastic bottles for fizzy soft drinks, larger amounts of CO2 are required to maintain the zest in such drinks for the same period as in a glass bottle. Remember the recent shortage in CO2, which was affecting the drinks industry? Again as far as I understand, canned drinks also depend on an enclosed tablet which provides the zest when the drink is opened, although I'm not sure if this is CO2 related.

So, firstly, why when we have so much recent publicity about plastic waste, is nothing being done to return to glass packaging? The answer could be vested interests preventing it. Many will know that these days, much plumbing tubing is plastic, so why aren't we returning to copper and brass to offset this plastic use, vested interests again?

I guess these protesters drive cars, even if they are electric, or use public transport, all of which are substantially made of steel. Steel production uses coal judiciously. So what do the protesters suggest we replace steel with, to avoid using coke made from coal?

So as I maintain, they all need a realty check, or should go and live in a tepee and don't use any metals or other man made materials in their daily existence.

Comment

Indeed - I imagine a large percentage of the blokes are only going because they have been told to by their lady - most will not actually give a damn about climate change just a concern about being denied p***y....

Comment

Working...
                      X