• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good to see the Left Wing of Politics in action...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    The elephant in the room with all this is not 'how' we use the limited resources (or even which resources we use) but 'why' ... where the 'why' is "because there are more and more humans on the planet". The exponential growth of the human race is causing mass extinctions. It will cause resources to run out, global warming and result in mass migrations (we think it's bad now, your kids and grandkids are going to suffer so much more than us).

We need to stop breeding, unfortunately we keep kidding ourselves that with an aging population we need more young people to work ... it's a vicious circle. Religions too support their followers in producing (why do you think the catholics, for example, ban contraception?). It's how they grow their support base and keep power.

Thankfully I won't be here long enough to live through the mess, and I have no kids so I won't have to worry about their future. If you do have kids, or grandkids, you should be worried!
    In the 1980's a section of the Amazon rain forest the size of Belgium was disappearing every year. This statistic is still being banded around, but the Amazon rain forest is still there.

I also remember seeing a documentary in the early 1990's that predicted the wholesale death of the forests in Central Europe. These forests are still there.

Al Gore told us in 2009 that the Artic ice cap would disappear by 2014. It's still there.

I think that there won't be a mass extinction.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I think that there won't be a mass extinction.
      Eventually there will. Large asteroid, nearby supernova, super volcano. Even surviving all that the sun will eventually swell up and consume the Earth.

Year on year the human race grows
      It's fairly well established that as standards of living improve, birth rate dwindles. Peak population is estimated to be about 8.1 Billion, reached in the next 20 years or so.

Where there is wealth, populations decline, and nature can prosper. There are wolves again in continental Europe (rich). Tiger populations are stabilising (medium wealthy countries). Lions are declining - poor countries.

To generate wealth, we gave to exploit the resources we have. Eventually, we'll use them to construct the technology to get us off this blue target in space.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Are you suggesting 'god' won't save us?
        Which one?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Here is a list of British animals that have become extinct.

List of extinct animals of the British Isles - Wikipedia
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Which one?
            There's more than one????!!!! You'll burn in (one of the) hells for that
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Prince Charles wants to be "defender of the faiths" rather than "defender of the faith".

I wish Prince Philip posted here to tell us what he thinks of that....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Prince Charles wants to be "defender of the faiths"...
                No longer. He's agreed to the traditional title. Originally bestowed by Pope Leo X, ironically enough, given what happened afterwards.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                  ... in London yesterday as hundreds of protesters damaged buildings protesting about globalisation and big business. I do wonder how many of these support, or voted remain, showing their support for an organisation that likes to project itself onto the global stage?

Of course as left wingers, and as those on here that do like to remind us, the majority of Labour (and therefore majority of left wing) voters support the remain campaign.

Now what's a good word to describe their actions. Oh yes Hypocrisy.

I am sure someone will be along in a minute or two....but, but, but, but, but, they are not representative of left wing Labour supporters. they are the looney left. Ah That'll bit a bit like the looney right then!
                  And this is related to brexit, because......?

Comment

My wife's a Catholic and I'm a lapsed proddy - I already know this!
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Eventually there will. Large asteroid, nearby supernova, super volcano. Even surviving all that the sun will eventually swell up and consume the Earth.

It's fairly well established that as standards of living improve, birth rate dwindles. Peak population is estimated to be about 8.1 Billion, reached in the next 20 years or so.

Where there is wealth, populations decline, and nature can prosper. There are wolves again in continental Europe (rich). Tiger populations are stabilising (medium wealthy countries). Lions are declining - poor countries.

To generate wealth, we gave to exploit the resources we have. Eventually, we'll use them to construct the technology to get us off this blue target in space.
                      Pipedream - a selfish one at that.

Comment

Working...
                      X