• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good to see the Left Wing of Politics in action...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    No the rule is stupid - the usual standard passive aggressive ban which does more harm than good.

Police should have the ability to confiscate alcohol and arrest people who are under the influence of alcohol and are causing a disturbance or danger to the public.

As it is only really at that point that a crime is being committed - drinking a bevvie on the train is not a crime

and on the train from Glasgow to London it is expected.
    You may think the rule is stupid but it is a rule and it is in place currently. What next, drink driving, because how else are you going to get your car home from the pub?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Eventually there will. Large asteroid, nearby supernova, super volcano. Even surviving all that the sun will eventually swell up and consume the Earth.

It's fairly well established that as standards of living improve, birth rate dwindles. Peak population is estimated to be about 8.1 Billion, reached in the next 20 years or so.

Where there is wealth, populations decline, and nature can prosper. There are wolves again in continental Europe (rich). Tiger populations are stabilising (medium wealthy countries). Lions are declining - poor countries.

To generate wealth, we gave to exploit the resources we have. Eventually, we'll use them to construct the technology to get us off this blue target in space.
      "Eventually, we'll use them to construct the technology to get us off this blue target in space"

Whereas many would like to think this might be possible, look at the stark realities of physics, as we know them today. On the face of it, even travelling at the speed of light would seem impossible given our current understanding of the laws of physics. So, let's assume we could travel at the speed of light.

As far as I know at the moment, feel free to prove me wrong, no planets have been discovered of the same size as the Earth which inhabit the "Goldilocks zone" of their stars and certainly none near enough to be reachable within a human lifetime at the speed of light. Then there is Einstein's theory of relativity to consider.

I'm afraid this old Earth is doomed to be consumed by our friendly star in about 4000 millions years from now. Whether or not human beings as we know them now will still be in existence by then on a yet to be discovered planet, remains to be seen, unless a method of traversing the Universe sufficiently quickly is discovered and which doesn't comply with the theory of relativity. .

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        "Eventually, we'll use them to construct the technology to get us off this blue target in space"

Whereas many would like to think this might be possible, look at the stark realities of physics, as we know them today. On the face of it, even travelling at the speed of light would seem impossible given our current understanding of the laws of physics. So, let's assume we could travel at the speed of light.

As far as I know at the moment, feel free to prove me wrong, no planets have been discovered of the same size as the Earth which inhabit the "Goldilocks zone" of their stars and certainly none near enough to be reachable within a human lifetime at the speed of light. Then there is Einstein's theory of relativity to consider.

I'm afraid this old Earth is doomed to be consumed by our friendly star in about 4000 millions years from now. Whether or not human beings as we know them now will still be in existence by then on a yet to be discovered planet, remains to be seen, unless a method of traversing the Universe sufficiently quickly is discovered and which doesn't comply with the theory of relativity. .
        1. Interplanetary travel would be a good start. Colonise the asteroids.
        2. For interstellar travel with our current understanding of physics, we'd need multi-generational ships, or some kind of suspended animation. Or a cure for aging.
        3. Earth like planets - you're wrong and your knowledge is about 5 years out of date. NASA's Kepler Discovers First Earth-Size Planet In The Habitable Zone – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          1. Interplanetary travel would be a good start. Colonise the asteroids.
          2. For interstellar travel with your current understanding of physics, we'd need multi-generational ships, or some kind of suspended animation. Or a cure for aging.
          3. Earth like planets - you're wrong and your knowledge is about 5 years out of date. NASA's Kepler Discovers First Earth-Size Planet In The Habitable Zone – Exoplanet Exploration: Planets Beyond our Solar System
          2. For interstellar travel with your current understanding of physics, we'd need multi-generational ships, or some kind of suspended animation. Or a cure for aging.
          quite!

3. Earth like planets - you're wrong and your knowledge is about 5 years out of date. I did stand to be corrected
          but perhaps I should have made it clearer. Have there been any Earth sized planets discovered which are reachable within a human lifespan with our current level of technology or even at the speed of light, and at a distance where the theory of relativity would not need to be considered?

From Wiki -

Kepler 186F

The planet orbits a red dwarf. Now I'm not an Astro Physicist, but I guess that might have some consideration for life as we know it. Additionally, my understanding is that a red dwarf is in a later stage of life than our sun, and I guess would expire before ours does.
          Is there there is water on the planet? I guess this couldn't be detected with our current technology.
          Is there an atmosphere containing oxygen? Again, I guess this couldn't be detected with our current technology

and finally from Wiki -

Kepler-186f's location within the habitable zone does not ensure it is habitable

My interpretation of the term "Goldilocks zone" and again I may be wrong, is one where life as we know it today could survive. There doesn't seem to be any evidence so far that this term applies to Kepler 186f.
          Last edited by JohntheBike; 29 April 2019, 12:04.

Comment

Colonise the asteroids and then build your interstellar generation ships from the asteroids.

As long as you have enough of the volatile asteroids to provide water/oxygen etc you are sorted.

As for me I am going to make one of these Alcubierre drive - Wikipedia

Sorted!

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

What is the Alcubierre "warp" drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Goosefeather View Post
                I'll just leave this here.

What is the Alcubierre "warp" drive?
                If you watch Star Trek - the next generation, you'll get the basic idea.

Comment

These ****wits do not have a scooby doo.

From Discover on Google Extinction Rebellion told prison is not a 'yoga retreat' - BBC News

Comment

Colonise the asteroids and then build your interstellar generation ships from the asteroids.

As long as you have enough of the volatile asteroids to provide water/oxygen etc you are sorted.[/url]
                    If we had a way of easily getting fusion power, we could make any elements that we want. Shame fusion is still 20-40 years away...

These ****wits do not have a scooby doo.

From Discover on Google Extinction Rebellion told prison is not a 'yoga retreat' - BBC News
                    Look on the bright side. With the level of intelligence and awareness they've shown so far, they won't last long.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere;2644671[B
                      ]If we had a way of easily getting fusion power, we could make any elements that we want. Shame fusion is still 20-40 years away...[/B]

Look on the bright side. With the level of intelligence and awareness they've shown so far, they won't last long.
                      Maybe that is what Emma Thompson thinks 1st Class on BA is powered by and that is why she can offset her carbon footprint from BA first class air ticket from London to the USA. What's worse is that Extinction Rebellion have said it's OK for her to fly 1st class and make such a huge Carbon footprint. What a load of hypocrites.

Comment

Working...
                      X