Deregulation, a main reason for Brexit? Deregulation, a main reason for Brexit?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1

    Godlike

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,546

    Default Deregulation, a main reason for Brexit?

    Jeremy Corbyn has said Brexit talks with the government are stalling because of a Tory desire for post-withdrawal deregulation, including as part of a US trade deal.
    So the sticking point of Brexit is deregulation even though deregulation was not mentioned in the Leave Campaign.
    Something I’m getting really fed up hearing about is ‘delivering’ Brexit. It is no such thing. When I receive something from Amazon I get it delivered to my door. When I give up something, like my domestic waste, freedom of movement, or membership of the world’s largest trading bloc, someone takes it away. They don’t deliver anything.
    blipvert the guardian

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    So the sticking point of Brexit is deregulation even though deregulation was not mentioned in the Leave Campaign.
    Corbyn is also saying he doesn't hate jews and doesn't support terrorist organisations

  3. #3

    Super poster

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    So the sticking point of Brexit is deregulation even though deregulation was not mentioned in the Leave Campaign.
    Are you serious? You must be trolling, apologies if you are not, it's hard to tell on this forum.

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,374

    Default

    Oh dear


    A quick trade agreement between Britain and the United States is not on the cards if any damages is done to the Good Friday Agreement, Nancy Pelosi has said
    I'm alright Jack

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Nothing like the power on the American Irish movement that provided finance to the IRA for all those years. How quickly things are forgotten.

    If leaving the EU gets enables us to stop feeding the chickens we eat antibiotics (banned in America incidentally) then that can only be a good thing.

  6. #6

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Nothing like the power on the American Irish movement that provided finance to the IRA for all those years. How quickly things are forgotten.
    That’s sort of the point, they (the US) haven’t forgotten. There’s a powerful lobby there that’s always been on the side of Ireland.

    (I do know that your point was about funding violence, but there’s another way to look at it).


    If leaving the EU gets enables us to stop feeding the chickens we eat antibiotics (banned in America incidentally) then that can only be a good thing.
    British poultry farmers can stop using antibiotics any time they like. “The EU” (including the U.K.) hasn’t banned them, but doesn’t require their use either.

  7. #7

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16,341

    Default Deregulation, a main reason for Brexit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    If leaving the EU gets enables us to stop feeding the chickens we eat antibiotics (banned in America incidentally) then that can only be a good thing.
    Please provide evidence that the EU forces UK poultry farmers to feed them antibiotics.
    Please also provide evidence that US farming standards are as ethical as the UK’s.

    Actually, regarding my first point, while we wait for you to change the subject:
    EU bans prophylactic use of antibiotics in farming | Compassion in Food Business

    So, the EU is banning it. And what are your beloved Tories wanting to do? Oh yes...
    Government plans to avoid EU ban on farmers using preventative antibiotics | Sustain
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Please provide evidence that the EU forces UK poultry farmers to feed them antibiotics.
    Please also provide evidence that US farming standards are as ethical as the UK’s.

    Actually, regarding my first point, while we wait for you to change the subject:
    EU bans prophylactic use of antibiotics in farming | Compassion in Food Business

    So, the EU is banning it. And what are your beloved Tories wanting to do? Oh yes...
    Government plans to avoid EU ban on farmers using preventative antibiotics | Sustain
    From the first page in the first link you quoted

    "Estimates suggest that in Europe two thirds of our antibiotics are used on livestock animals."

    Also from your link. The EU banning the use of antibiotoics in the rearing of livestock,....... but not really
    "Preventative antibiotic treatments for individual animals will still be permitted in exceptional circumstances where the risk of disease is high. Group treatments will also be allowed if disease has been diagnosed in some of the animals and there is a high risk it will spread to others, and no alternative treatments are available."

    Another link for you from March 2019

    Tonnes of antibiotics still used in UK chicken farms raising fears over drug resistant diseases, investigation finds | The Independent

    "Tonnes of antibiotics are still being used in UK poultry farming amid growing fears over the spread of drug resistant diseases, an investigation suggests."

    "Ionophores are used to prevent the intestinal disease coccidiosis which affects chickens when they ingest chicken droppings."

    Ionophores, antibiotics by another name, are legal to use throughout the EU , but banned by America for use in animal rearing

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,374

    Default

    US and China to circumvent the WTO

    The WTO is basically breaking up.
    I'm alright Jack

  10. #10

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    From the first page in the first link you quoted

    "Estimates suggest that in Europe two thirds of our antibiotics are used on livestock animals."

    Also from your link. The EU banning the use of antibiotoics in the rearing of livestock,....... but not really
    "Preventative antibiotic treatments for individual animals will still be permitted in exceptional circumstances where the risk of disease is high. Group treatments will also be allowed if disease has been diagnosed in some of the animals and there is a high risk it will spread to others, and no alternative treatments are available."

    Another link for you from March 2019

    Tonnes of antibiotics still used in UK chicken farms raising fears over drug resistant diseases, investigation finds | The Independent

    "Tonnes of antibiotics are still being used in UK poultry farming amid growing fears over the spread of drug resistant diseases, an investigation suggests."

    "Ionophores are used to prevent the intestinal disease coccidiosis which affects chickens when they ingest chicken droppings."

    Ionophores, antibiotics by another name, are legal to use throughout the EU , but banned by America for use in animal rearing
    All of your text and links shows that the U.K. uses antibiotics on chickens.

    However, your statement was that leaving the EU would enable us to stop, implying that the EU forces U.K. farmers to use them.

    You’re saying one thing, but providing evidence for another thing.

    Here’s some further information for you:

    http://www.saveourantibiotics.org/me...try-sector.pdf

    The statistics published by the British Poultry Council suggest that, even without considering any of the antibiotics used in egg-layers or in game birds, British chicken and turkey farmers are using about 44 mg per kg of population correction unit (PCU; the European livestock unit), whereas in Denmark poultry farmers use about 21 mg/kg.v vi In Sweden, antibiotic use in poultry is even lower, with just 28 out of 3,191 broiler flocks receiving any antibiotics in 2015, and the average rate of use being below 1 mg/kg.vii In Finland no antibiotics have been used on any broiler farm since 2010.viii
    So Finland is in the EU, but uses no antibiotics.

    It is not an “EU” issue to solve, and ironically if it did solve it via Directive you would probably complain that the EU are telling us what to do....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •