• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Withdrawal Bill 31415926535th Reading

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdrawal Bill 31415926535th Reading

< place holder >

Bugger; Wrong forum!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

This time it will be also be a vote of confidence, simply to add to the drama.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      < place holder >

Bugger; Wrong forum!
      Sorted.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        This time it will be also be a vote of confidence, simply to add to the drama.

Nothing to indicate its a vote of confidence. In fact, nothing different from MV1, MV2 or MV3.

How long will the EU grant extensions for? Forever I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Nothing to indicate its a vote of confidence. In fact, nothing different from MV1, MV2 or MV3.

How long will the EU grant extensions for? Forever I suspect.
          Yeah, it's different from those because you can't bring back a Second Reading (of the same bill in the same session).

Won't be a confidence vote in the gov't though.

Also doesn't mean a new session.

Best they can hope for is that Labour abstain and it gets through to Third Reading, whereupon it will be amended and then fall there.

Second Reading usually isn't an issue.

Comment

If the withdrawal bill doesn't go through the parliamentary session ends in failure. If the government can't get the Queen's speech through it falls.

It is highly likely that if the withdrawal bill fails that the Queen's speech also fails. A new Tory PM won't change the arithmetic.

That means in effect this vote will be a no confidence vote.

As explained by Theo Usherwood from LBC.

Be afraid ......
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

If the withdrawal bill doesn't go through the parliamentary session ends in failure. If the government can't get the Queen's speech through it falls.

It is highly likely that if the withdrawal bill fails that the Queen's speech also fails. A new Tory PM won't change the arithmetic.

Be afraid ......
              Hearing things on the interweb or on the radio doesn't represent an understanding.

There's nothing more to do before the summer recess.

Everything that happens afterwards is about whether the Tories fear No Deal or Korbyn more.

If the WAB fails, the PM will resign before the recess, the recess will happen, a new PM will be chosen for the Tory conference, the new PM will have a new policy platform (snowflakes will cry and gnash their teeth, comfort blanket exports will boom).

After the recess, the new PM will face a choice between seeking a No Deal "by accident" (i.e. "I don't want one, honest guv" ) or by advocating for it, in which case a GE will be needed (seems unlikely to me for the same reason). Obviously, the new session of Parliament will try to stop this in whatever way it can, but the new PM may prefer tactics that TM didn't prefer.

Either way, we're not into the territory of the gov't falling until much further down the line around, say, October 31 () at which point the Tories will have a stark choice between a hard brexit then or Korbyn then (followed by a good chance of Korbyn later, either way).

The idea that the gov't is going to fall in early June when the WAB fails is, well, cretinous.

HTH.

Comment

Be afraid ......
                So you are getting your facts from LBC now? The station that brought you Nigel Farage.....

Comment

Does anyone seriously believe that if the withdrawal bill fails for the final time in early June, and it will be the final vote, that parliament will simply go home and wait for the no deal on 31st October.

...and presumably Unicorns will be flying around outside Westminster.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Does anyone seriously believe that if the withdrawal bill fails for the final time in early June, and it will be the final vote, that parliament will simply go home and wait for the no deal on 31st October.

So, for the avoidance of doubt, your prediction is that the gov't will fall in the first two weeks of June, right?

Let's return to this in, say, one month in order to mock the cretin that was wrong. M'kay?

Comment

Working...
                    X