• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truths about Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I'm just trying to ascertain what percentage of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit you lot think were dumb enough to be influenced by what was painted on the side of a bus!
    First we have to establish what percentage of them were clever enough to be able to read and understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      First we have to establish what percentage of them were clever enough to be able to read and understand it.
      They were clever enough to read the ballot paper and could be arsed to go out and vote! That's all that matters.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'm just trying to ascertain what percentage of the 17.4 million people who voted for Brexit you lot think were dumb enough to be influenced by what was painted on the side of a bus!
        In the absence of any evidence otherwise, 100% of the 17.4m were influenced by the short-term Leave campaign and the longer-term campaign to exit the EU.

The question, then, is how much of both of those campaigns were not fully correct - anything ranging from overstating benefits, understating or ignoring issues, misleading statements, media propaganda, or outright lies.

Were people “dumb” enough? Your words. Smart people can be misled all the time, if the people that are setting out to con are given enough leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          In the absence of any evidence otherwise, 100% of the 17.4m were influenced by the short-term Leave campaign and the longer-term campaign to exit the EU.

The question, then, is how much of both of those campaigns were not fully correct - anything ranging from overstating benefits, understating or ignoring issues, misleading statements, media propaganda, or outright lies.

Were people “dumb” enough? Your words. Smart people can be misled all the time, if the people that are setting out to con are given enough leeway.
          If that's the justification that you feel you need to be able to justify the result in your own mind then so be it.

No skin off my nose.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

This is what Brexit is really all about:

The Brexit gravy train

Nigel Farage was lavishly funded by Arron Banks in the year after the Brexit referendum, Channel 4 News has alleged, with the insurance tycoon providing him with a furnished Chelsea home, a car and driver, and money to promote him in America.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

If that's the justification that you feel you need to be able to justify the result in your own mind then so be it.

No skin off my nose.
              If that were true, you wouldn't have bothered making that post.

Comment

No skin off my nose.
                It’s no skin off mine either. But if anyone’s looking for an explanation as to why the actual process to leave is very different from anything that was promised, there are certain people and the campaigns that they led that you can look at.

That’s the paradox - an honest campaign on the pros and cons may very well have sent the result another way. The actual campaign got the referendum result it wanted, but was then stuck as to how to deliver it to match what was promised.

“The people” are frustrated with “getting on and delivering Brexit”, but it’s never going to match what was promised. “The people” are going to be frustrated with it for a long time after we leave.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  It’s no skin off mine either. But if anyone’s looking for an explanation as to why the actual process to leave is very different from anything that was promised, there are certain people and the campaigns that they led that you can look at.

That’s the paradox - an honest campaign on the pros and cons may very well have sent the result another way. The actual campaign got the referendum result it wanted, but was then stuck as to how to deliver it to match what was promised.

“The people” are frustrated with “getting on and delivering Brexit”, but it’s never going to match what was promised. “The people” are going to be frustrated with it for a long time if we leave.
                  FTFY

Comment

Disagreeing with Brexit is a moot point now, surely? The decision has been made so why would any pro-Brexit voter need to expend the effort to defend the position, let alone resort to insulting those of you who lost in the referendum?

Because, strangely enough, the people would like to know what the plan is. The people, at least any who actually care about the UK, would like to know what the next steps are.

Do we leave with no deal? That wasn't on the ballot paper
                    Do we leave with some sort of deal? That wasn't on the ballot paper
                    Do we create some way of leaving the EU while maintaining no border in Ireland? That wasn't on the ballot paper.

Thos that care about this country, no matter what way they voted, should be trying to get the questions answered by those who thought it was going to be the easiest deal ever, and all those other soundbites.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'll just leave this here.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X