• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'd like to wish the remoaners luck in the EU elections today....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“My daughter says if I google ‘European Parliament’ I’d find out it’s democratically elected and they deal with a lot of dull-but-necessary stuff like business regulations and recycling.
    He would also find out that it cannot initiate legislation, there is no equivalent of the private member's bill we have in our parliament. It has supervisory powers over laws mostly devised by the unelected commission.

Said all this before but also, in a national election, the parties can interact with all members of the public. The electorate knows who the PM will be if a party gains power, what its policies will be, and who are most likely to be senior ministers. In the EU parliament you vote for a small proportion of the MEPs, the rest are voted in by others in their own interests. We have no idea who they are or what views they have.

Anyone who thinks this is democracy has obviously not Google very much.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      He would also find out that it cannot initiate legislation, there is no equivalent of the private member's bill we have in our parliament. It has supervisory powers over laws mostly devised by the unelected commission.

Said all this before but also, in a national election, the parties can interact with all members of the public. The electorate knows who the PM will be if a party gains power, what its policies will be, and who are most likely to be senior ministers. In the EU parliament you vote for a small proportion of the MEPs, the rest are voted in by others in their own interests. We have no idea who they are or what views they have.

Anyone who thinks this is democracy has obviously not Google very much.
      If it had too much power, you would be bitching about the European superstate.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        In the EU parliament you vote for a small proportion of the MEPs, the rest are voted in by others in their own interests.
        Out of interest, how many of the MPs in Parliament do you vote for in a general election?

Are the rest voted in by others with their own interests?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Out of interest, how many of the MPs in Parliament do you vote for in a general election?

The concept of a people's democracy yet again evades you....

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            What impact do you think any result is going to have?
            Exactly. Only the deluded (aka DimPrawn) think that it's going to make any difference or has any import.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Dim will be up there with the rest of the mad brexidiots who think this is actually some kind of English General Election. I've had one actually tell me today that Nige will be PM tomorrow or at least be in coalition government with the Tories ******' retarded to the last man....
            At least our cretins are a cut above the people you're meeting. Except for...

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            You lot still don't get it do you? We voted to leave and we didn't leave.

And now there is a vote for EU MEPs and the party with the biggest share of the vote is called...

The Brexit Party.

Think about what the majority and democracy is telling you...
            Oh look. You got 35% of the turnout in an election that nobody cares about. Very significant.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The concept of a representative democracy yet again evades you...

Comment

The Brexit Party will not win because the people who voted for them are stupid:

How to invalidate your vote...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I had to look it up. I didn’t have you down as a Communist?

People's democracy (Marxism–Leninism) - Wikipedia

While people's democracies were considered a form of the dictatorship of the proletariat, classes such as the peasantry, petite bourgeoisie and progressive bourgeoisie were allowed to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    I had to look it up. I didn’t have you down as a Communist?

People's democracy (Marxism–Leninism) - Wikipedia
                    But you did have him down as a cretin.

Comment

Obviously you only vote for one but the policies/history of a candidate are usually minor factors for most voters, they principally vote for him/her because they stand for the party they actually want in office, the party that will enact policies they believe in.

That does not apply in European elections because, no matter how many vote for a given party in the UK, that party will have next to no control over our future laws and zero control over actually framing them, that is mainly in the hands of the unelected commission.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X