• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'd like to wish the remoaners luck in the EU elections today....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      I had to look it up. I didn’t have you down as a Communist?

People's democracy (Marxism–Leninism) - Wikipedia
      Okay that doesn't mean what I thought it meant....

It's not my fault I'm thick, I had a tulipe edjukashun!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Okay that doesn't mean what I thought it meant....

It's not my fault I'm thick, I had a tulipe edjukashun!
        It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Just make sure you don't end up blaming the 'globalists' for everything like churchy.

Comment

...you are gonna need it.
          having just been to vote, and seen the swathes of miserable twatty looking gammons coming out, you might be right.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            having just been to vote, and seen the swathes of miserable twatty looking gammons coming out, you might be right.
            Especially with so many non UK EU citizens illegally disenfranchised. Whether it is conspiracy or incompetence, it is symptomatic of a failing state.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Obviously you only vote for one but the policies/history of a candidate are usually minor factors for most voters, they principally vote for him/her because they stand for the party they actually want in office, the party that will enact policies they believe in.

That does not apply in European elections because, no matter how many vote for a given party in the UK, that party will have next to no control over our future laws and zero control over actually framing them, that is mainly in the hands of the unelected commission.
              It’s a different form of democracy, primarily concerned with creating and maintaining standards across disparate countries. Negotiation is key, rather that combative politics. Which is why it’s not unusual to vote for one party for local councillors, a different party for national elections, and a third for European elections. Different people and parties for different reasons and ways of working.

Or at least that’s how it should be. Tribal politics tends to get in the way for most people and they vote for a colour regardless of ability or policies.

Comment

You lot still don't get it do you? We voted to leave and we didn't leave.

And now there is a vote for EU MEPs and the party with the biggest share of the vote is called...

The Brexit Party.

Think about what the majority and democracy is telling you...
                You don't get it either. At the last EU elections UKIP did well. Yet in the following GE they won how many seats in Westminster? You see, people are happy to vote UKIP/Brexit party in EU elections, but very few people will trust them with the economy

But, you keep living in La La Land whilst the rest of us sit here and enjoy the fun
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  It’s a different form of democracy, primarily concerned with creating and maintaining standards across disparate countries. Negotiation is key, rather that combative politics. Which is why it’s not unusual to vote for one party for local councillors, a different party for national elections, and a third for European elections. Different people and parties for different reasons and ways of working.

Or at least that’s how it should be. Tribal politics tends to get in the way for most people and they vote for a colour regardless of ability or policies.
                  racist???
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    racist???
                    nah, - rosettist

Comment

It’s a different form of democracy, primarily concerned with creating and maintaining standards across disparate countries
                      So we vote, not for people to implement policies we believe in, but for people who will negotiate with various others we never voted for and have never heard of, to find some accord on policies which may bear no relation to those we wanted. Doesn't sound like democracy at all to me.

Sure, it makes sense to find accord between nations and I don't disagree with many EU policies. If we are to trade on an equal basis for example, there are other laws we need to abide by, like government funding or workers' rights, so some nations do not have an unfair advantage. But, as I said in another thread to mean anything, democracy must be devolved to the lowest level as there are real differences in cultures and economies and problems which need to be taken account of.

Free movement is an example. Whatever you think of immigration, there is no doubt that the huge influx in recent years is putting huge pressures on the UK that are difficult to cope with, the availability of affordable housing, the number of children in schools etc. It would have made sense to take account of these problems and allowed governments to impose temporary limits. Unfortunately, the EU zealots are driven by their ideals and fail to take account of the needs of EU citizens.

It this approach that is actually destroying the chances of those ideals being achieved. It is failure to take account of real concerns that is driving the rise in the so called far right. What's not to like about the idea of a united Europe or even a united world? But you have to do it slowly and take account of human nature and real problems.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X