• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Traitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Traitors

Brexit: top Tories would bring down any PM who backs no deal | Politics | The Guardian

It doesn't matter who is in power, the mandate as dictated by the majority is to leave. The fact that some MPs in their arrogance(infinite wisdom) feel that leaving isn't what we really want, they have to fulfil the will of the majority.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      It doesn't matter who is in power, the mandate as dictated by the majority is to leave. The fact that some MPs in their arrogance(infinite wisdom) feel that leaving isn't what we really want, they have to fulfil the will of the majority.
      It's almost as if the UK is a representative democracy.

Comment

In the EU elections

Hard Brexit 35%
        Remain 37%
        Brino 23%

Since Brino is the same as remain it doesn't look good for proper Brexit, particularly since much of the Labour vote will also be remain.

be afraid
        ....be very afraid
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

According to the BBC

European elections 2019: Key points at a glance - BBC News

Pro-Brexit 35%
          Anti-Brexit combined 40%
          Conservative 9%
          Labour 14%
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            In the EU elections

Hard Brexit 35%
            Remain 37%
            Brino 23%

Since Brino is the same as remain it doesn't look good for proper Brexit, particularly since much of the Labour vote will also be remain.

be afraid
            ....be very afraid
            In some ways this mirrors the NI border poll question. You could have another referendum with two options: Remain or No Deal. I have no idea who would win but the likelihood is that 49% of people would be seriously put out. Better to find a Norway style consensus that 70% of people can live with, with 15% of the people at either end of the debate put out. But the British system has never been about consensus. Maybe the winner takes all approach works for a GE vote that gets repeated every 4 to 5 votes, but it ain't working here.

So settle on a Norway style model or hold a second referendum. The first is preferable to the second. But the Tory grandees are gearing up for a mentalist competition with a bunch of elderly gammons constituting most of the electorate. So, expect extremist promises and a constitutional showdown with the democratically elected parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              In some ways this mirrors the NI border poll question. You could have another referendum with two options: Remain or No Deal. I have no idea who would win but the likelihood is that 49% of people would be seriously put out. Better to find a Norway style consensus that 70% of people can live with, with 15% of the people at either end of the debate put out. But the British system has never been about consensus. Maybe the winner takes all approach works for a GE vote that gets repeated every 4 to 5 votes, but it ain't working here.

So settle on a Norway style model or hold a second referendum. The first is preferable to the second. But the Tory grandees are gearing up for a mentalist competition with a bunch of elderly gammons constituting most of the electorate. So, expect extremist promises and a constitutional showdown with the democratically elected parliament.
              The Tories won't be offering a Brino, it will be a very hard Brexit, it's hard to imagine Labour getting a majority to push their version of Brino; it's now clear they would be in coalition with the Lib Dems and/or SNP if there were to be a GE. The choice is a Hard Brexit or a referendum.

The only wild card would be Boris Johnson pulls off a U-Turn with a sleight of hand, but I don't think he has the ability.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Rory Stewart on LBC, his analysis spot on. Boris Johnson will go for a no-deal whilst proclaiming a Unicorn deal with the EU. Parliament will bring him down and there will be a GE.

be afraid
                ....be very afraid

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  Seems the people have changed their mind. Leave is no longer larger than remain, at least based on the most recent EU election which was, quite frankly, as pseudo-referendum.

We need what we have been saying for months and months. Westminster agrees a deal (whatever that deal is, could even be 'no-deal') then this is put back to the people to say, do you want this deal or do you want to remain? If it's a moderate leave then it may win. If it's a hard deal, there is a fair chance remain will win.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It’s going to be “hard Brexit” by Boris, big mistake to view fragmented “remain” vote as able to unite - so are totally against Brexit, supporting LibDems - these voters will find it unacceptable to support Labours “soft Brexit”, and if Labour rejects Brexit they lose voters to Brexit party or Tory scum

We are fooked.

Comment

Working...
                    X