• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yeah, that's what you meant.

(1) has been resolved.

Can you really see remain ultras allowing "No Deal" as an option on any ballot? Witness Keir Starmer and his "credible leave option". Nope, there's only two possible outcomes now, neither of which involves a WA, and both of which involve years of acrimony.
    1 has not been resolved. There was an advisory referendum. Sorry that reality doesn't suit your narrative.

No deal on the ballot paper would suit remain very well, particularly if it is the only Leave option, as it increases the likelihood of Remain winning.

The sensible outcome is a Norway style compromise but the UK is way past that.

Comment

The problem that leave have however much they try and hide it, is that there are two irreconcilable factions who hate each other as much as leave and remain. That is a huge problem for the leave movement.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        1 has not been resolved. There was an advisory referendum. Sorry that reality doesn't suit your narrative.

No deal on the ballot paper would suit remain very well, particularly if it is the only Leave option, as it increases the likelihood of Remain winning.

The sensible outcome is a Norway style compromise but the UK is way past that.
        (1) has been resolved with an advisory referendum. It would be impossible to engineer a binding referendum when "leave" means leaving many possible things, so any second referendum would be advisory too. It would be politically binding, as in the 2016 referendum ("we will implement your decision"). Best of three? Sorry that doesn't suit your narrative.

Your analysis of the probability of a No Deal is also flawed for several reasons. First, it is increasingly popular, and would gain in popularity during the campaign because campaigning remainers are poor campaigners (they are much thicker than they perceive themselves to be). Second, it would be interpreted as a "kick gov't" option, which would collect the aggregate of those that want No Deal and those that want to kick the gov't, as in 2016. Third, some remainers (they tend to be old folks, not really engaged) think that "No Deal" means that nothing changes, literally the status quo of EU membership (i.e. no deal to leave) - seriously, I've heard that from several, and from others that have heard the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          The problem that leave have however much they try and hide it, is that there are two irreconcilable factions who hate each other as much as leave and remain. That is a huge problem for the leave movement.
          Paul Mason on Twitter: "3/ Seumas Milne, Karie Murphy and Ian Lavery MP oversaw this fiasco. The strategy was wrong, the execution was wrong, the comms were wrong. Lavery even defied the whip. If we want to win, they should be replaced by politicians and professional strategists
          https://t.co/GwVZZVT897"

Splits erupt in Change UK as Anna Soubry attacks Heidi Allen's tactical voting call | PoliticsHome.com

The problem that remain voters have, however much they try to hide it, is that there are several irreconcilable factions who hate each other as much as leave and remain. That is a huge problem for the remain movement.

Comment

That would be a problem in a GE, where the vote could be split. Not a problem in a second referendum.

Comment

The problem that remain voters have, however much they try to hide it, is that there are several irreconcilable factions who hate each other as much as leave and remain. That is a huge problem for the remain movement.

That's not a problem. No one is trying to work out what Remain means, nor is there any need to define it or explain it. What does need defining, if the cowards could be bothered to define it, is what does Leave mean?
              Is it a hard Brexit with no agreements, nothing, and a hard border in Ireland?
              Is it a negotiated leaving of the EU whereby agreements are made to preserve peace, even though that will annoy the hardliners, racists, xenophobes and those prone to violence?

Or is it exactly what was on the voting card - something undefined so that it could be interpreted any which way people wanted, and that those who voted to leave could claim that 17.4million people voted to leave in exactly the same way, with no evidence that any of them did.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

(1) has been resolved with an advisory referendum. It would be impossible to engineer a binding referendum when "leave" means leaving many possible things, so any second referendum would be advisory too. It would be politically binding, as in the 2016 referendum ("we will implement your decision"). Best of three? Sorry that doesn't suit your narrative.

Your analysis of the probability of a No Deal is also flawed for several reasons. First, it is increasingly popular, and would gain in popularity during the campaign because campaigning remainers are poor campaigners (they are much thicker than they perceive themselves to be). Second, it would be interpreted as a "kick gov't" option, which would collect the aggregate of those that want No Deal and those that want to kick the gov't, as in 2016. Third, some remainers (they tend to be old folks, not really engaged) think that "No Deal" means that nothing changes, literally the status quo of EU membership (i.e. no deal to leave) - seriously, I've heard that from several, and from others that have heard the same thing.
                Thank you for sharing your ill informed opinions and potentially fictitious anecdotes.

I hope it all makes you feel better. I've added up the votes. Win for Remain. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Thank you for sharing your ill informed opinions and potentially fictitious anecdotes.

I hope it all makes you feel better. I've added up the votes. Win for Remain. Enjoy!
                  That's the spirit!

Comment

That's the spirit!
                    Pray tell us how this Brexit malarky is going for you
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Pray tell us how this Brexit malarky is going for you
                      Long live the cretin subforum and its target rich environment!

Comment

Working...
                      X