• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris gets the check book out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    In recent years we've seen pressure for vendors to list all sorts of information on their products, which essentially provides some information for the consumer to decide whether or not to buy the product. So why would there not be a similar situation with any import from any country in the future? If enough information is provided to the consumer, they can decide to buy or not. So if chlorinated chickens or un-pasteurised milk were to be imported from the USA and labelled as such, then surely the consumer would decide the fate of such a product. Remember what happened to egg sales after that silly women stated that all eggs contained salmonella. People still buy fags in great numbers, despite the known risks.
    But if it is the exporting country's standard not to label this, you would accept the UK importing it and selling it to consumers?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      But if it is the exporting country's standard not to label this, you would accept the UK importing it and selling it to consumers?
      well, I'd guess the UK would demand that the products were labelled in accordance with UK rules. So the question might not arise.

Comment

well, I'd guess the UK would demand that the products were labelled in accordance with US rules. So the question might not arise.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          FTFY
          why would you think that? Toys from China are labelled well enough for parents to determine if there is any risk in buying them. But as I've said, plenty of fags are still being sold, even considering the warnings.

Comment

well, I'd guess the UK would demand that the products were labelled in accordance with UK rules. So the question might not arise.
            See if you can join the dots.

Comment

why would you think that? Toys from China are labelled well enough for parents to determine if there is any risk in buying them. But as I've said, plenty of fags are still being sold, even considering the warnings.
              They are labelled with a CE mark to show that they conform to European regulations, including safety standards.

Your position appears to be, let in anything we like even if it does not conform to our standards and let the public decide. If a child catches fire because their parents bought substandard pyjamas you seem to think that that is on the parents’ risk and that the state should not interfere by mandating minimum standards?

History has shown that the public is not very good at deciding, and that companies are very good at deceiving.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                They are labelled with a CE mark to show that they conform to European regulations, including safety standards.

Your position appears to be, let in anything we like even if it does not conform to our standards and let the public decide. If a child catches fire because their parents bought substandard pyjamas you seem to think that that is on the parents’ risk and that the state should not interfere by mandating minimum standards?

History has shown that the public is not very good at deciding, and that companies are very good at deceiving.
                Not just that. His position is that the UK should start to let everything in, while simultaneously Ireland should continue to let everything in from the UK.

Comment

Already starting: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...ef=uk-homepage
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

"They are labelled with a CE mark to show that they conform to European regulations, including safety standards"

yes, so why wouldn't that be the case for chickens from the USA?

"Your position appears to be, let in anything we like even if it does not conform to our standards and let the public decide. If a child catches fire because their parents bought substandard pyjamas you seem to think that that is on the parents’ risk and that the state should not interfere by mandating minimum standards?"

that a great leap of assumption from you. Look at what I said about fags. Despite the warnings, many are still sold.

What I'm saying is that all these imports should be labelled appropriately under UK standards and it will be for the public to decide if they buy them. What everyone appears to be suggesting is that chickens from the USA will not carry any information which will allow the consumer to decide whether or not to buy them. I don't think this will be the case.

In Tesco's I buy small green beans every week. Some are labelled as grown in Egypt and some in Kenya. I buy those from Kenya, because they seem to taste better. That's just an example of labelling which helps my choice of product.

"History has shown that the public is not very good at deciding, and that companies are very good at deceiving."

agreed, but this situation has changed to a certain extent in recent years.

Comment

"They are labelled with a CE mark to show that they conform to European regulations, including safety standards"

yes, so why wouldn't that be the case for chickens from the USA?

"Your position appears to be, let in anything we like even if it does not conform to our standards and let the public decide. If a child catches fire because their parents bought substandard pyjamas you seem to think that that is on the parents’ risk and that the state should not interfere by mandating minimum standards?"

that a great leap of assumption from you. Look at what I said about fags. Despite the warnings, many are still sold.

What I'm saying is that all these imports should be labelled appropriately under UK standards and it will be for the public to decide if they buy them. What everyone appears to be suggesting is that chickens from the USA will not carry any information which will allow the consumer to decide whether or not to buy them. I don't think this will be the case.

In Tesco's I buy small green beans every week. Some are labelled as grown in Egypt and some in Kenya. I buy those from Kenya, because they seem to taste better. That's just an example of labelling which helps my choice of product.

"History has shown that the public is not very good at deciding, and that companies are very good at deceiving."

agreed, but this situation has changed to a certain extent in recent years.
                      And having decided that for the UK, you think Ireland and the EU should just relax their standards too.

Comment

Working...
                      X