• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris gets the check book out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    "Why do you call Ireland Eire?"

because Ireland refers to the whole island, whilst Eire refers to the Republic of Ireland and Ulster refers to Northern Ireland.

Do you call Scotland Alba, no yr Alban, when appropriate.

"or Wales Cymru?"

when the occasion requires it, as in "Cymru am byth"

there is no need to differentiate yr Alban from Scotland nor Cymru from Wales. But it is necessary to differentiate Ireland from Eire and Ulster.
    Éire and Ireland are identical in meaning. The former is the Irish language term and the latter is the English language term. There terms can refer either to the island or to the state. When there is a need to differentiate between the two in the English language, the terms island of Ireland or Republic of Ireland can be used. Using the term Éire in an English language sentence is like using the term España in an English language sentence.

Ulster is an inaccurate term for Northern Ireland. The province of Ulster has nine counties, six of which constitute Northern Ireland and three of which are part of the Republic of Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      Yes odd that non of the Remainer newspapers want to run the story. Maybe that's because it shoots all the Remainer arguments in the foot so to speak regarding how it is impossible to find a solution to the Irish border. Just maybe the Remainer newspapers don't want to report the truth, doesn't say much for REmainer newspaper reporting integrity that you hold so dear.
      Popped in for a second, and can see you’re still the same old cretin.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Do you realise that this is about goods transiting the UK between Ireland and other EU countries? How do you think this is going to facilitate trade in goods, livestock and the milk supply chain between the UK and the RoI?
      This.

It already exists under the TIR convention, essentially for transport to transit without unloading.

Nothing to do with whether there is a border or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        Yes odd that non of the Remainer newspapers want to run the story. Maybe that's because it shoots all the Remainer arguments in the foot so to speak regarding how it is impossible to find a solution to the Irish border. Just maybe the Remainer newspapers don't want to report the truth, doesn't say much for REmainer newspaper reporting integrity that you hold so dear.
        Maybe because it's bollocks made up like most Leaver stories such as the latest tosh from Hunt which is probably the crap that the toilet rags have decided to embellish a bit:

Hunt claimed Merkel had signalled EU leaders may now be open to a technological solution to the thorny issue – something Brussels has previously ruled out as unrealistic.
        Note the 'claimed' remark....
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Éire and Ireland are identical in meaning. The former is the Irish language term and the latter is the English language term. There terms can refer either to the island or to the state. When there is a need to differentiate between the two in the English language, the terms island of Ireland or Republic of Ireland can be used. Using the term Éire in an English language sentence is like using the term España in an English language sentence.

Ulster is an inaccurate term for Northern Ireland. The province of Ulster has nine counties, six of which constitute Northern Ireland and three of which are part of the Republic of Ireland.
          contradictions from Wiki -

Éire (Irish: [ˈeːɾʲə] (About this soundlisten)) is Irish for "Ireland", the name of an island and a sovereign state.

and

Article 4 of the Irish constitution adopted in 1937 by the government under Éamon de Valera states that Éire is the name of the state

So Eire cannot be applied to Northern Ireland using Wiki's definitions.

Comment

contradictions from Wiki -

Éire (Irish: [ˈeːɾʲə] (About this soundlisten)) is Irish for "Ireland", the name of an island and a sovereign state.

and

Article 4 of the Irish constitution adopted in 1937 by the government under Éamon de Valera states that Éire is the name of the state

So Eire cannot be applied to Northern Ireland using Wiki's definitions.
            There is no contradiction. Éire refers to both the island and the sovereign state, like I said. Where do the quotations you give contradict that Éire refers to the island of Ireland (which is what I think you are trying to say)?

I am going to help you:

The Constitution declares that "[the] name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland" (Article 4). Under the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 the term "Republic of Ireland" is the official "description" of the state; the Oireachtas, however, has left unaltered "Ireland" as the formal name of the state as defined by the Constitution.

Last edited by Old Greg; 11 June 2019, 13:22.

Comment

There is no contradiction. Éire refers to both the island and the sovereign state, like I said. Where do the quotations you give contradict that Éire refers to the island of Ireland (which is what I think you are trying to say)?

I am going to help you:
              "Éire refers to both the island and the sovereign state"

but clearly they are two different entities. The island of Ireland contains two states, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

It all comes down to how historically any individual has referred to any place or country. Do you order a Madras curry still, or do you order a Chenai curry? Similarly do you order Bombay potatoes or Mumbai potatoes? and was the atrocity committed in the black hole of Calcutta or the black hole of Kolkata? Do you call Lenningrad St. Petersburgh now?

I've always referred to the Republic of Ireland as Eire.

Comment

"Éire refers to both the island and the sovereign state"

but clearly they are two different entities. The island of Ireland contains two states, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

It all comes down to how historically any individual has referred to any place or country. Do you order a Madras curry still, or do you order a Chenai curry? Similarly do you order Bombay potatoes or Mumbai potatoes? and was the atrocity committed in the black hole of Calcutta or the black hole of Kolkata? Do you call Lenningrad St. Petersburgh now?

I've always referred to the Republic of Ireland as Eire.
                Like 'Ireland', 'Éire' also means both the island and the state. It is the Irish language word for 'Ireland'. No more, no less. In English you should use the term 'Ireland' and I have given you terms to distinguish between the state and the island when this is necessary.

Comment

Like 'Ireland', 'Éire' also means both the island and the state. It is the Irish language word for 'Ireland'. No more, no less. In English you should use the term 'Ireland' and I have given you terms to distinguish between the state and the island when this is necessary.
                  we'll have to agree to differ in our opinion.

I've always referred to the Republic of Ireland as Eire to distinguish it from Northern Ireland. Wiki refers to its diminishing use, but as I've said, it depends entirely on how individuals have used the term in the past, just as I've illustrated with the cities of India.

Do you go to an Indian or Pakistani restaurant? India is still used to cover the Indian sub continent, but as we know, there are three different countries now where India was once only one.

Comment

we'll have to agree to differ in our opinion.

I've always referred to the Republic of Ireland as Eire to distinguish it from Northern Ireland. Wiki refers to its diminishing use, but as I've said, it depends entirely on how individuals have used the term in the past, just as I've illustrated with the cities of India.

Do you go to an Indian or Pakistani restaurant? India is still used to cover the Indian sub continent, but as we know, there are three different countries now where India was once only one.
                    You can continue to be wrong. No skin off my nose.

Comment

You can continue to be wrong. No skin off my nose.
                      the whole whole history of the Republic of Ireland is bound around the term Eire for it -

Article 4 of the Irish constitution adopted in 1937 by the government under Éamon de Valera states that Éire is the name of the state, or in the English language, Ireland.[4] The Constitution's English-language preamble also described the population as "We, the people of Éire". Despite the fact that Article 8 designated Irish as the "national" and "first official" language, Éire has to some extent passed out of everyday conversation and literature, and the state is referred to as Ireland or its equivalent in all other languages. The name "Éire" has been used on Irish postage stamps since 1922;[5] on all Irish coinage (including Irish euro coins); and together with "Ireland" on passports and other official state documents issued since 1937. "Éire" is used on the Seal of the President of Ireland.

Initially after 1937 the United Kingdom insisted on using only the name "Eire" and refused to accept the name "Ireland". It adopted the Eire (Confirmation of Agreements) Act 1938 putting in law that position. At the 1948 Summer Olympics in London the organisers insisted that the Irish team march under the banner "Eire" notwithstanding that every other team was marching according to what their name was in English.[6] The UK Government used what some Irish politicians stated were "sneering titles such as Eirish".[7] The UK Government would refer to "Eire Ministers" and the "Eireann Army" and generally avoid all reference to "Ireland" in connection with the state. The Ireland Act 1949 changed this to "Republic of Ireland". It was not until after the 1998 Good Friday Agreement that the UK government accepted the preferred name of simply "Ireland", at the same time as Ireland dropped its territorial claim over Northern Ireland.

Before the 1937 Constitution, "Saorstát Éireann" (the Irish name of the Irish Free State) was generally used.[8]

During the Emergency (as World War II was known), Irish ships had "EIRE" (and the Irish tricolour) painted large on their sides and deck, to identify them as neutrals.

In the 1947 Sinn Féin Funds case, a co-defendant was cited as "the Attorney General of Eire" in the High and Supreme Court cases, and there were similar cases where "Eire" was used in the late 1940s as a descriptor of the state in English.[9]

In 1922–1938 the international plate on Irish cars was "SE". From 1938 to 1962 it was marked "EIR", short for Éire. In 1961 statutory instrument no. 269 allowed "IRL",[10] and by 1962 "IRL" had been adopted. Irish politician Bernard Commons TD suggested to the Dáil in 1950 that the government examine "the tourist identification plate bearing the letters EIR ... with a view to the adoption of identification letters more readily associated with this country by foreigners".[11] "EIR" is also shown in other legislation such as the car insurance statutory instrument no. 383 of 1952 and no. 82 of 1958.[12][13]

Under the 1947 Convention Irish-registered aircraft have carried a registration mark starting "EI" for Éire.

From January 2007, the Irish government nameplates at meetings of the European Union have borne both Éire and Ireland, following the adoption of Irish as a working language of the European Union.

Spelling Eire rather than Éire

Nowhere does it say that constitutionally Eire means the whole of the island of Ireland. So you must be contending that Wiki is wrong then!

Comment

Working...
                      X