• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris gets the check book out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    for the Republic of Ireland perhaps.

so, have you done any comparison between the journey time from Belfast to let's say Coventry, via Dublin and Holyhead v's the Belfast to Stranraer route. Looking at the map, would suggest that it might be quicker. The sailing distance from Belfast to Stranraer is almost half of that from Dublin to Holyhead. The distance of Stranraer from the M6 is roughly the same as from Holyhead to the M6, but there is no motorway from Belfast all the way to Dublin. So the road journey time looks like it would be greater via Dublin. Do you have any trade figures for both routes for comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      I was referring to those who weren't alive when the UK wasn't a member of the UK, and had no experience of life as it was then.

so, have you done any comparison between the journey time from Belfast to let's say Coventry, via Dublin and Holyhead v's the Belfast to Stranraer route. Looking at the map, would suggest that it might be quicker. The sailing distance from Belfast to Stranraer is almost half of that from Dublin to Holyhead. The distance of Stranraer from the M6 is roughly the same as from Holyhead to the M6, but there is no motorway from Belfast all the way to Dublin. So the road journey time looks like it would be greater via Dublin. Do you have any trade figures for both routes for comparison?

Comment

I was referring to those who weren't alive when the UK wasn't a member of the UK, and had no experience of life as it was then.

However, your detailed information confirmed what I already understood and that was that most traffic from Belfast to mainland UK, prior to the UK joining the EU, did not go through Dublin to Holyhead. Current arguments being put forward contend that the passage of goods from Belfast to mainland UK must continue to pass through Dublin, when this may not necessarily need to be the case.
        Wrong and misunderstood on so many levels, but you know that and are just not prepared to admit it.

Care to share all these “arguments being put forward” that “contend that the passage of goods from Belfast to mainland UK must continue to pass through Dublin”?

Again, it sounds more like you’re making it up, but don’t want to admit it.

So, a couple more questions:
        1. Does the Republic of Ireland only trade with Great Britain or further afield as well?
        2. Does Northern Ireland only trade with Great Britain, or does it trade with ROI?
        3. Does Northern Ireland trade with anywhere other than GB and ROI?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Wrong and misunderstood on so many levels, but you know that and are just not prepared to admit it.

Care to share all these “arguments being put forward” that “contend that the passage of goods from Belfast to mainland UK must continue to pass through Dublin”?

1. Does the Republic of Ireland only trade with Great Britain or further afield as well?
          2. Does Northern Ireland only trade with Great Britain, or does it trade with ROI?
          You're wasting your time with the JTB cretin-sockie.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            typo corrected!

Comment

"Care to share all these “arguments being put forward” that “contend that the passage of goods from Belfast to mainland UK must continue to pass through Dublin”?

well, on the Welsh news, there has been much said about the possible affects to Holyhead about any settlement regarding the UK's future relationship with the ROI. Those most concerned with the issues contend that the passage of trade through Holyhead must be maintained as near as possible to what it is now. So, I'm not making anything up. We know what the answers to your questions are, but what are the actual comparative statistics? i.e. which trade functions are most likely to be affected by whatever agreements that might be made with the ROI after the UK leaves the EU? Can you provide such statistics?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                You're wasting your time with the JTB cretin-sockie.
                "You're wasting your time with the JTB cretin-sockie"

I'm only posting to pass the time, so if no one responded at all, then I'd be pretty bored!

Comment

so, have you done any comparison between the journey time from Belfast to let's say Coventry, via Dublin and Holyhead v's the Belfast to Stranraer route. Looking at the map, would suggest that it might be quicker. The sailing distance from Belfast to Stranraer is almost half of that from Dublin to Holyhead. The distance of Stranraer from the M6 is roughly the same as from Holyhead to the M6, but there is no motorway from Belfast all the way to Dublin. So the road journey time looks like it would be greater via Dublin.
                  Ah, Mr Rees-Mogg, you believe you don’t need to research anything to understand it.

I realise that until I mentioned Stranraer, you’d probably never heard of it, now you’re grasping it for all it’s worth. But maybe you should have read what I wrote - Stranraer/Cairnryan. Up until a few years ago, half the ferries went to Stranraer and half to Cairnryan. The older generations would know this. What’s the sailing time of a ro-ro Belfast to Stranraer? How many per day do that route?

You mention there is “no motorway from Belfast all the way to Dublin”, care to share which parts of that road are not currently dual carriageway or motorway, based on you having driven it?

You mention the distance from Stranraer to the M6 as being the same as Holyhead to the M6. Do you know what both roads are like? How much of the A75 is dual carriageway compared to the A55?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ah, Mr Rees-Mogg, you believe you don’t need to research anything to understand it.

I realise that until I mentioned Stranraer, you’d probably never heard of it, now you’re grasping it for all it’s worth. But maybe you should have read what I wrote - Stranraer/Cairnryan. Up until a few years ago, half the ferries went to Stranraer and half to Cairnryan. The older generations would know this. What’s the sailing time of a ro-ro Belfast to Stranraer? How many per day do that route?

You mention there is “no motorway from Belfast all the way to Dublin”, care to share which parts of that road are not currently dual carriageway or motorway, based on you having driven it?

You mention the distance from Stranraer to the M6 as being the same as Holyhead to the M6. Do you know what both roads are like? How much of the A75 is dual carriageway compared to the A55?
                    The A1 is dual carriageway but it's pretty poor around Banbridge.

Comment

dual carriageway compared to the A55?
                      A55 is single carriageway over the Menai Strait and any high wind lorries have to divert to the old bridge. Then there are a couple of roundabouts.

A very shabby road. The AMs don't care as long it does not affect their drive round Cardiff.

Comment

Working...
                      X