• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris gets the check book out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    You're an advocate of ethnic cleansing then?
    Isn’t that what National Farage/Nigel Front, the EDL and their ilk want in England - sending home non-natives?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Isn’t that what National Farage/Nigel Front, the EDL and their ilk want in England - sending home non-natives?
      Is it?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        What if the Freemasons manipulate the isotopes?
        long half-life = not very radioactive so no problem
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          It’s both not true, and I don’t know.

Not true, because you can’t make a blanket statement like “x is better than the EU”, simply because “the EU” only sets minimum standards, and it’s up to individual member states to set their own that should be equal or higher. For example, Ireland is also in the EU and also uses the same plugs. “The EU” doesn’t have plugs, individual member states do.

“I don’t know” because I’m not an electricity expert but this site appears to indicate that standard two-pin plugs common across other countries are also grounded. So why are 3-pins better? (Genuine question, not trolling)

Plug & socket types - World Standards
          The 3rd pin at the top, prevents the live connections from being accessible to say, a child with a fork.

In member states that have not been coerced into using this safer system, the risk of electrocution is greater.

This is why some posters may allude to 'the EU', as it seems like a dereliction of duty to not have a safer minimum standard, no?

I wonder if it's anything to do with the massive cost of replacing every plug in the major economies of Europe (-UK) and instead they think it's better than more people than necessary are electrocuted but they save some euros...

Why is it that Ireland have the 3 pin?
          Perhaps they saw the UK saving lives and thought whale oil beef hooked, that's a clever idea, let's nick it...
          Originally posted by Old Greg
          I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            The 3rd pin at the top, prevents the live connections from being accessible to say, a child with a fork.

In member states that have not been coerced into using this safer system, the risk of electrocution is greater.

This is why some posters may allude to 'the EU', as it seems like a dereliction of duty to not have a safer minimum standard, no?

I wonder if it's anything to do with the massive cost of replacing every plug in the major economies of Europe (-UK) and instead they think it's better than more people than necessary are electrocuted but they save some euros...

Why is it that Ireland have the 3 pin?
            Perhaps they saw the UK saving lives and thought whale oil beef hooked, that's a clever idea, let's nick it...
            Thanks for that. Is that necessarily true, though? What you appear to be saying is that a child can safely stick a fork into a U.K. socket and not be electrocuted?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Thanks for that. Is that necessarily true, though? What you appear to be saying is that a child can safely stick a fork into a U.K. socket and not be electrocuted?
              No it's fook all to do with that.

The argument is that the CE mark used in Europe does not necessarily mean it is conforming to the best available standard.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

The argument is that the CE mark used in Europe does not necessarily mean it is conforming to the best available standard.
                The UK having one standard (for wall outlets) better then the EU standard doesn't mean this is the case for everything.
                It's one of these straws the brexiteers are desperately clutching at

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

That’s what I was asking - why, technically, it is considered that the U.K. 3-pin plug is a better standard.

My question was why is the U.K. configuration considered safer.

(The CE mark, incidentally, does not mean that anything conforms to the “best” standard, only that it meets minimum standards).

Comment

In the UK many devices don't actually connect to the 3rd pin. It isn't necessary for safety purposes if the device is insulated.

2 pin plugs also have an earth connection, it's just they use clips either side of the plug instead of a pin.

No difference with respect to safety.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 June 2019, 11:22.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      The UK having one standard (for wall outlets) better then the EU standard doesn't mean this is the case for everything.
                      It's one of these straws the brexiteers are desperately clutching at
                      You could always **** off back to your precious Netherlands.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X