• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car boom!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car boom!

Aston Martin makes first DBX cars at St Athan factory - BBC News

Aston Martin has started making cars at its Vale of Glamorgan factory.

The company has so far created 200 jobs at the St Athan site and plans to recruit up to 550 more people.

The first pre-production models of the Aston Martin DBX have been rolled out, with the factory expected to go into full production in 2020.
    Over to the depressive negative remoaner spin merchants...

Car boom!

Good for them, it’s nice to see manufacturing supported in Wales.

However:

An EU Government supporting a loss-making manufacturer to encourage the factory to stay in their country. Isn’t that the sort of thing Brexiters despise?

Aston Martin's GBP19m from Welsh Government - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Good for them, it’s nice to see manufacturing supported in Wales.

However:

An EU Government supporting a loss-making manufacturer to encourage the factory to stay in their country. Isn’t that the sort of thing Brexiters despise?

Aston Martin's GBP19m from Welsh Government - BBC News
      19 million is nothing! My local council, Conwy, is just advertising a £40k a year post. For SSIW. Say something in Welsh. Welsh beaurocracy/spending knows very few bounds.

They only seem to care about culteral stuff like language. The fact that the hospoitals are dire, impossible to get an NHS dentist, schools sh1t, etcetc seems to pass them by.

And the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing. The North Wales people I know mostly don't know which they hate more - Cardiff or London.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        19 million is nothing!
        Yeah, alright, calm yerself down Rockefeller...

Comment

19 million is nothing! My local council, Conwy, is just advertising a £40k a year post. For SSIW. Say something in Welsh. Welsh beaurocracy/spending knows very few bounds.

They only seem to care about culteral stuff like language. The fact that the hospoitals are dire, impossible to get an NHS dentist, schools sh1t, etcetc seems to pass them by.

And the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing. The North Wales people I know mostly don't know which they hate more - Cardiff or London.
          "the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing"

I guess that might be a legacy of our Welsh history and will probably take some generations to rectify.

As a result of the opening up of the mines in South Wales in the 19th century, there was a huge influx of labour, principally from England and many of our Welsh traditions, and particularly the language, were diluted. When attending my sister in law's funeral in Tylorstown, it was interesting to see that most of the names on the gravestones were not traditional Welsh surnames. Her first husband's surname was Tibbot, which clearly isn't Welsh. My mothers' maiden name was Nicholls, which apparently emanates from Boscastle in Cornwall. So you can see the influence there on our names. We also had that infamous edict (was it a green paper) which directed school teachers to suppress the use of Welsh in schools, thus giving us the "Welsh not" i.e. (for the English) you must not speak Welsh in class or be punished.

The North saw all this as betrayal of our culture, but we in South Wales had no choice in the matter. By the 1960's Welsh was almost a dead language here in South Wales, save for a few pockets in the South West, e.g. Llanelli, but has now regained ground since the Welsh Language Act. I'm not Welsh speaking as a result of the "Welsh not" as my grandparents, who were fluent Welsh speakers apparently, didn't speak to my parents in Welsh, who clearly couldn't speak to me so. At least now rugby is being played more in the North and RGC are doing very well. It's good to see the support for the U20's up North too.

"The North Wales people I know mostly don't know which they hate more - Cardiff or London"

I never voted for the Assembly, on the basis that there would be no realistic chance that we would get anything other than a Labour dominated administration. So the North are not alone there. It's a good job we have PR, as there would never be any sort of opposition to Labour.

I'll be visiting Conwy on the w/e of 12/13th of July. I'm looking forward to my fish and chips in the cafe close to the town wall. You probably know it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            I'll be visiting Conwy on the w/e of 12/13th of July. I'm looking forward to my fish and chips in the cafe close to the town wall. You probably know it.
            I do know it.

I shall get a gang of local yobs to prepare the defences.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              "the lack of support to North Wales from Cardiff government is amazing"

I guess that might be a legacy of our Welsh history and will probably take some generations to rectify.
              No mate, it's 'cos they're all a bunch of **nts! And that isn't going to change any time soon.

Hth.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I do know it.

I shall get a gang of local yobs to prepare the defences.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  No mate, it's 'cos they're all a bunch of **nts! And that isn't going to change any time soon.

Hth.
                  well, I was being out of character and being generous to them.

Comment

They should still be using Merc AMG engines - would be fun when tariffs kick in

Comment

Working...
                    X