• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Johnson's premiership foundering on the rock of Brexit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson's premiership foundering on the rock of Brexit.

That was quick.

Tory leadership race: Stewart out as Johnson extends lead | Politics | The Guardian

Johnson added 17 more MPs to his tally. However, key members of the European Research Group (ERG) of hard Brexiter Tory MPs have begun issuing coded warnings to the frontrunner about the limits of their support.

Members of the group were reportedly alarmed by Johnson’s refusal to be drawn on offering any guarantee of the UK leaving the EU on 31 October beyond saying it was “eminently feasible”.

His evasiveness was highlighted by Hunt, who told the BBC on Wednesday: “Boris has made a big play of saying we’ll leave, deal or no deal, on October 31. Yesterday, frankly, he suggested he wouldn’t be so absolute in that,” Hunt said. “I’m not entirely sure what he believes on this.”

Johnson’s backers, including Liz Truss, the chief secretary to the Treasury, and Steve Baker, the deputy chair of the ERG, insisted in broadcast interviews and on social media that they had guarantees the UK would exit by that date.

One prominent Brexiter, when asked what would happen to Johnson if he reneged on his pledge that the UK would be out by 31 October, said: “The same thing that happened to Theresa May – only a lot quicker.”

Johnson’s rivals have openly questioned how he can be keeping the support of soft-Brexit Tories, including the health secretary, Matt Hancock, and the former deputy prime minister Damian Green, as well as no-deal Eurosceptics, such as Baker and Mark Francois.

Boris does not give a fook as long as he makes the last 2

Comment

He has two speeches written, a no deal speech and an article 50 delay speech.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        He has two speeches written, a no deal speech and an article 50 delay speech.

I wouldn't be surprised if he only had one speech written.

"It is with great regret that I am having to step down from the leadership contest..."

...Then land Gove in the tulip and wait a few weeks/months/years until the first part of Brexit has been pushed through, for him then to come back as the hero of the day
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How many days until the first envelopes will arrive at the 1922 Committee?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised if he only had one speech written.

"It is with great regret that I am having to step down from the leadership contest..."

...Then land Gove in the tulip and wait a few weeks/months/years until the first part of Brexit has been pushed through, for him then to come back as the hero of the day
            Johnson is arrogant enough to believe he can sort it all out.

Comment

An interesting story from Jeremy Vine
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have read that before it's a great read and a real insight to how he operates. I think he will put the deal through once more but with an amendment for an exit mechanism. Then say over to the e.u. and start no deal preparations at which point he will go begging to the e.u for an extension.
                Last edited by BlueSharp; 20 June 2019, 09:05.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                X