• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The breakup of the UK inevitable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    as you probably know, I'm Welsh (my family has lived in the same Welsh village - the largest in Wales, since at least 1854), but I never voted for the Welsh Assembly. So I'm never going to vote for further independence. The UK is where it is as a result of the Union. Enemies of this country would seek to use such divisions to disadvantage us.

And if you are Welsh speaking and look down on those who are not (my grandparents were subject to the Welsh Not), I'll ask you three Welsh related questions which you are unlikely to be able to answer.
    You are twunty enough to be Welsh.

Are you Southern, Mid or Northern?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You are twunty enough to be Welsh.

Are you Southern, Mid or Northern?
      the clue is in my post "the largest village in Wales" It encompasses all and more of a particular parish which had 10500 population in 2016. There are debates about how "largest" is defined, but it's pretty large in area as well as population.

I'll give you more clues if you still can't work it out. BTW, I'm not Welsh speaking, although I do know a lot about the language.

Comment

the clue is in my post "the largest village in Wales" It encompasses all and more of a particular parish which had 10500 population in 2016. There are debates about how "largest" is defined, but it's pretty large in area as well as population.

I'll give you more clues if you still can't work it out. BTW, I'm not Welsh speaking, although I do know a lot about the language.
        Has the population been in decline since your family moved there?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          not since 1854, and obviously earlier. It's interesting for me that the population of the parish was listed as approx. 9500 in 1911. So I don't know how that area compares with the current village as today's population figure wouldn't coincide with the expansion of the village size since 1911, which is a good 50% larger now.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            The amount of sheep friendliness has gone up.

Comment

The amount of sheep friendliness has gone up.
              but the English still eat our lamb.

Comment

but the English still eat our lamb.
                We only get our lamb from Joe the Butcher just off the A55. He rears the sheep himself. The cosrt is about the same as from a supermarket. 3 weeks ago we got half a sheep.

Comment

A google did not help much.

I bet you are part of the South Wales lot who hate the mid/north.....

Comment

A google did not help much.

I bet you are part of the South Wales lot who hate the mid/north.....
                    not really, my impression is that it's the other way around. It's those Welsh speakers who denigrate non speakers but can't answer my three questions.

the village name may be derived from the Welsh word for an elder tree. It was the early home for a famous daughter.

Comment

The break up of the Uk is inevitable.

Especially to those people who believe a survey of 1133 people of whom 41% voted they would support independence.

Now according to brexit/remainer theory that means 59% would not want independence?

Or do we apply different criteria in this case to support our assertion ?

Last edited by original PM; 24 June 2019, 13:55.

Comment

Working...
                      X