• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The breakup of the UK inevitable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    The break up of the Uk is inevitable.

Especially to those people who believe a survey of 1133 people of whom 41% voted they would support independence.

Now according to brexit/remainer theory that means 59% would not want independence?

Or do we apply different criteria in this case to support our ascertain?

agreed,

also, consider that where the survey was taken might have a great deal of relevance, certainly in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      not really, my impression is that it's the other way around. It's those Welsh speakers who denigrate non speakers but can't answer my three questions.

the village name may be derived from the Welsh word for an elder tree. It was the early home for a famous daughter.
      Ah, the well known village of Sambucus Nigra.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Looks like the UK will be breaking up.

Clear majority for Scottish independence

.....and Wales will be following soon after:

Difficult to imagine anyone wanting to be part of Boris's UK.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        The break up of the Uk is inevitable.

Especially to those people who believe a survey of 1133 people of whom 41% voted they would support independence.

Now according to brexit/remainer theory that means 59% would not want independence?

Or do we apply different criteria in this case to support our assertion ?

53% in Scotland. Keep up!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Ah, the well known village of Sambucus Nigra.
          yes, in Welsh, ysgawen. and Cornish skawen

Comment

Considering support for Welsh independence was only 15% in 2016 rising to 41% is pretty remarkable. Once Boris has pushed through his no deal Brexit and the UK is bleeding to the tune of £50,000 a minute that 41% will quickly rise. Everyone who can will be bailing out of the UK.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Considering support for Welsh independence was only 15% in 2016 rising to 41% is pretty remarkable. Once Boris has pushed through his no deal Brexit and the UK is bleeding to the tune of £50,000 a minute that 41% will quickly rise. Everyone who can will be bailing out of the UK.

well, many organisations have already bailed out of Wales. BP and Ford to mention a couple.

Comment

The breakup of the UK inevitable

well, many organisations have already bailed out of Wales. BP and Ford to mention a couple.
                Don’t forget the EU funding to Wales that’s going as well.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...-gets-12765100

£680 million a year.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

indeed, with more to follow
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Ah, is it nearly 40 years ago now, boyo, look you, there's tidy then:

My dad worked for Duport Steel for a couple of years.

None of the places I've shut down over the years appear in that though.

We're both Jonahs really.

His last job was at Metal Box and that went a couple of years ago.

Siliconix is now a housing estate. If only they knew what had got tipped down that quarry.

The bit of the 3M site I worked at has been empty for years, though the sticky tape bit is still going strong.

One might also mention that Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde is looking a bit dicey too.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 June 2019, 08:32.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Don’t forget the EU funding to Wales that’s going as well.

This is how much money Wales gets from the European Union and how it is spent - Wales Online

£680 million a year.
                      Despite this, Wales voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU.

I would contend that the funding of infrastructure projects like the dualling of the A465 would have been provided in any event by the UK government. If you've followed some of my other posts regarding the A465, you may understand why. So, I've tried to understand why Wales voted this way.

Some of those other projects listed, e.g. support for universities, would clearly not be obvious to the man in the street and perhaps even less of direct benefit. Some may have gained work from EU funded projects, but even these don't seem to have had an effect on the vote, so perhaps the benefits were also minimal.

I asked myself the question, how have I personally benefited from membership of the EU and how have I been dis-advantaged, or could possibly be dis-advantaged by EU policies and voted accordingly. Perhaps the majority also adopted this approach.

What happened in the ROI is interesting. It seems that EU funding reached the populace more directly, which may account for their continued support for EU membership. When staying in Donegal, I remarked how many B+B's there were. Almost every other house or bungalow offered such facilities. What I also noticed was that most of these B+B's were new or recently built properties. When I enquired about this, it seems that large funds were given to individuals to help to build new properties as long as they offered at least one room for rent as a B+B. It seems it was a policy, as I was told, to replace the old sub standard housing stock prevalent in the ROI prior to EU membership.

I haven't travelled in the ROI for a couple of years, but have travelled the Rosslare to Cork road several times. My initial observations were that there had been little improvement in this major route when compared with similar routes in the UK. Especially the Fishuard to Carmarthen route and on to the M4, which could be said is a comparable route in the UK. So, it would seem that EU funding for the ROI isn't necessarily benefiting the infrastructure of this part of the ROI.

So the direct EU funding of the ROI populace seems to have gone down very well in any event. I can't say that the Welsh have seen anything comparable from the EU.

edit
                      given DoctorStrangelove's recent post, perhaps the Welsh blame the demise of all these industries on the EU, as they all occurred mostly during the UK's membership of the EU.
                      Last edited by JohntheBike; 26 June 2019, 08:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X