• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The breakup of the UK inevitable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    More guff. It’s almost like the only country in the world producing cars is Germany.

There’s relatively few countries that drive on the left, most are former British Empire colonies, and Japan.
    Having the UK switch to driving on the right would not solve the problem of Ireland driving on the left (I know you struggle with the difference), nor with Japan, Australia, India, South Africa, etc. The UK accounts for about 2.5% of new car sales globally. Japan is twice that market.

The UK always had Maastricht which meant we didn’t have to adopt the Euro unless we wanted to.

And when I was contracting in Cologne, advising Ford, their biggest logistical concern was a reliable supply chain
    They were pulling his leg. Though it may also have been in the Daily Mail at some point.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

How many inhabitants and businesses in Cork have you surveyed to come up with your opinion that you’re spewing?

The difference in distance is 70km.
      There’s 4 sailings a day from Dublin to Holyhead, but only two a day from Rosslare to Fishguard.

Then when you get to Wales, if you’re going along the M4, you have to negotiate Newport.

But I guess if you only observe what you want to observe and only experience things that reinforce your opinions without ever being challenged, then stick with it.

The N1/M1 from Dublin to Belfast was a route that certainly benefitted from EU funding and is the main trade route between the UK and ROI.
      Shame that some people are of the opinion that it should not be easy for that route to continue unblocked, and aren’t prepared to think up viable solutions. But hey, everyone has to live with the consequences of faulty opinion and “observations”.

While we’re in the EU, there’s no problem with the Irish border.

Your move.
      "How many inhabitants and businesses in Cork have you surveyed to come up with your opinion that you’re spewing?"

I thought I'd made it clear that I hadn't singled out any difference between personal and trade traffic.

I've sailed from Fishguard to Rosslare several times and both ways, the ferry has always been packed to the gunnels. Also, the road from Rosslare to Cork has always been just as busy as the road from Fishguard to Carmarthen. How many times have you travelled those routes?

"Then when you get to Wales, if you’re going along the M4, you have to negotiate Newport"

and if you travel from Holyhead you will need to negotiate the continual road works on the M6 let alone the M6/M5 interchange if you need to go down that way to Bristol e.g.

"But I guess if you only observe what you want to observe and only experience things that reinforce your opinions without ever being challenged, then stick with it"

you are putting the cart before the horse. Opinions are formed after observations and experiences. I don't travel anywhere with the sole intention of bolstering my opinions. Where do get that crazy idea from?

If I'd never visited Donegal, I'd never have known about the generous grants the people there received to build their homes. As I said, I've never received a penny from anywhere to help me with my home.

"The N1/M1 from Dublin to Belfast was a route that certainly benefitted from EU funding and is the main trade route between the UK and ROI"

one commentator here claims the exact opposite, in that it's the trade between the ROI and NI directly which is the main trade route. If you care to re-read previous posts, as a result of what we in Wales are told on the news, I said it was projected that the Dublin to Holyhead route was the most important trade route. You are agreeing with that contention now, but others don't. My original question was that if the Belfast to Dublin route was now so significant, then what happened prior to the UK and the ROI joining the EU. After numerous insults, my opinion was put right, so to speak.

In case you don't remember, the discussion referred to the idea put forward that there could be a bridge built between NI and Scotland and I contended that however impractical that idea was, there was certainly evidence that someone was considering the idea of another route from NI to the UK.

your play.

Comment

More guff. It’s almost like the only country in the world producing cars is Germany.

There’s relatively few countries that drive on the left, most are former British Empire colonies, and Japan.
        Having the UK switch to driving on the right would not solve the problem of Ireland driving on the left (I know you struggle with the difference), nor with Japan, Australia, India, South Africa, etc. The UK accounts for about 2.5% of new car sales globally. Japan is twice that market.

The UK always had Maastricht which meant we didn’t have to adopt the Euro unless we wanted to.

And when I was contracting in Cologne, advising Ford, their biggest logistical concern was a reliable supply chain

"There’s relatively few countries that drive on the left, most are former British Empire colonies, and Japan"

there's also India, don't forget. So in population terms the imbalance is far less.

Note that Eire, whilst still driving on the left, have now adopted speed limits and distances in kilometres.

"And when I was contracting in Cologne, advising Ford, their biggest logistical concern was a reliable supply chain"

where I was working, the main concern was how quickly they could offload JLR to Tata as it was losing so much money. 2nd prize they had in the initial years.

and I wasn't referring to Ford policy, I was referring to the social comments that my German colleagues made about the UK's membership of the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          They were pulling his leg. Though it may also have been in the Daily Mail at some point.

I don't read the mail. Only the South Wales Evening Post.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I think for myself! I think I agree with everything MrsBP says!
            snap

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              "There’s relatively few countries that drive on the left, most are former British Empire colonies, and Japan"

there's also India, don't forget. So in population terms the imbalance is far less.

Note that Eire, whilst still driving on the left, have now adopted speed limits and distances in kilometres.

"And when I was contracting in Cologne, advising Ford, their biggest logistical concern was a reliable supply chain"

where I was working, the main concern was how quickly they could offload JLR to Tata as it was losing so much money. 2nd prize they had in the initial years.

and I wasn't referring to Ford policy, I was referring to the social comments that my German colleagues made about the UK's membership of the EU.
              Eire? You really can't reach a cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Ah, is it nearly 40 years ago now, boyo, look you, there's tidy then:

My dad worked for Duport Steel for a couple of years.

None of the places I've shut down over the years appear in that though.

We're both Jonahs really.

His last job was at Metal Box and that went a couple of years ago.

Siliconix is now a housing estate. If only they knew what had got tipped down that quarry.

The bit of the 3M site I worked at has been empty for years, though the sticky tape bit is still going strong.

One might also mention that Ye Newe Sloughe of Desponde is looking a bit dicey too.
                Spooky - my Dad used to work for Duport in the 70's. He played football for them and Cricket in the Birmingham League (the Vono ground in Tipton). We lived around the corner so this was my playground as a Tiptonian kid living on a local council estate Of course all that shut down (unions didn't help, always on strike). Ground was closed down then sold off and the site is now covered in little Barratt boxes.

Edit : quick Google says there were 2 Duports ... one in Wales and the one I know in Tipton that was part of Vono.
                Last edited by Whorty; 26 June 2019, 14:17.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Eire? You really can't reach a cretin.
                  a slip of the tongue, the Republic of Ireland to you

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Spooky - my Dad used to work for Duport in the 70's. He played football for them and Cricket in the Birmingham League (the Vono ground in Tipton). We lived around the corner so this was my playground as a Tiptonian kid living on a local council estate Of course all that shut down (unions didn't help, always on strike). Ground was closed down then sold off and the site is now covered in little Barratt boxes.

Edit : quick Google says there were 2 Duports ... one in Wales and the one I know in Tipton that was part of Vono.
                    looks like there were at least 2 in Wales, Llanelli and Briton Ferry.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      a slip of the tongue, the Republic of Ireland to you
                      My bad. You can teach a cretin! Well done, JTB!

Comment

Working...
                      X