• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you were forming a political party what manifesto commitments would you make?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    BBC NEWS | In Depth

Pic

Historically we are at a high point of owner occupied. Private renting has nosedived Housing is changing.

Pic

supply & pricing is the issue.
    Nice data/graphs, sadly 14 years out of date. And doesn't reflect that owner/occupiers are much lower % in the expensive areas, like London and SE, precisely where the BTL/investment buys are popular.

BTL is not the source of the problem, it's just a symptom, that exasperates it.

Comment

BBC NEWS | In Depth

Historically we are at a high point of owner occupied. Private renting has nosedived Housing is changing.

supply & pricing is the issue.
      What were the interest rates in the past ?

If you buy a house with an interest rate of 17% as they were in 1979 and a house with an interest rate of 4% what is the difference in the price you pay in total for the house.

The answer is a house with a price of ₤200,000 and 17% interest rate you pay ₤1 million to pay off the mortgage
      and a house with a price of ₤200,000 and 4% interest rate you pay ₤340,000 for the house

This is why comparing house prices at different mortgage rates is a bad comparison, because the mortgage rate makes a huge difference to the affordability of a house.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 June 2019, 14:10.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Nice data/graphs, sadly 14 years out of date. And doesn't reflect that owner/occupiers are much lower % in the expensive areas, like London and SE, precisely where the BTL/investment buys are popular.

If you halve the interest rate you double the price of a house that is affordable.

not a good comparison
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 June 2019, 14:10.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

later graphs that show similar current figures but they don't show the ownership change over a century which is why I went with the older figures.

Home ownership in the UK - Resolution Foundation

Key point in these figures are that far fewer council houses are about. Housing associations aren't replacing them fast enough. The number of owner occupiers is far higher than any time in history and completely unlike the figures across Europe.

The private rent sector is still smaller than the 60s.

52% are owner occupiers compared with 30% in the 60s. And in the 1900s.

BTL is creating a private rented sector that is recovering.

When I bought my first house 25 years ago it was £65K and I earnt £19k + company car which was just below higher rate tax , so 3.5 my earnings bought you a four bed terrace in a village in the south east. If I hadn't wanted to live in Berks/Bucks a 2-3 bed house was about the same in the better parts of Surrey.

The same house is sold at ~ £440K now. The higher rate tax threshold is £37.5k so 13 times higher rate earnings. House prices have gone up well beyond affordability.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            If you halve the interest rate you double the price of a house that is affordable.

not a good comparison
            do please explain your assertion.

feck me glad you don't go anywhere near figures. Its like having Assgoo back.

Comment

do please explain your assertion.

feck me glad you don't go anywhere near figures. Its like having Assgoo back.
              Most of what you pay for a house when you buy is interest.

Mortgage calculator

Double the interest rate and see what happens to your mortgage.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Most of what you pay for a house when you buy is interest.

Mortgage calculator

Double the interest rate and see what happens to your mortgage.

so you don't repay the capital at all? The amount of interest you pay has no relation to the capital?

From your calculator
                you borrow £200,000 at 1.6% (the default) you pay back £242,000
                Your monthly payment
                £809.30
                you borrow £100,000 at 3.2% you pay back £145,000

Your monthly payment
                £484.68
                so doubling the price means you pay nearly 100k more even though the interest stays the same. Yes you pay 100% more interest if you double the interest rate but that is obvious.

However as to your point about affordability the doubled capital nearly doubles the repayments. Both mortgage examples have about 45k iinterest

Comment

so you don't repay the capital at all? The amount of interest you pay has no relation to the capital?

From your calculator
                  you borrow £200,000 at 1.6% (the default) you pay back £242,000

you borrow £100,000 at 3.2% you pay back £145,000

so doubling the price means you pay nearly 100k more even though the interest stays the same. Yes you pay 100% more interest if you double the interest rate but that is obvious.

However as to your point about affordability the doubled capital nearly doubles the repayments. Both mortgage examples have about 45k iinterest
                  We're getting there. Here are the interest rates in the 1970's and 1980's.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think I am being condescending but really I didn't explain my point very well.

FTFY

If you are trying to say that because interest rates are low people are risking more debt than is sensible then unfortunately you are right. Its a balloon of debt and will end in trouble however the fact there is a shortage of stock may cushion it.

Comment

FTFY

If you are trying to say that because interest rates are low people are risking more debt than is sensible then unfortunately you are right. Its a balloon of debt and will end in trouble however the fact there is a shortage of stock may cushion it.
                      House prices are lower than they were 15 years ago

House prices will drop when the interest rates go up, always have and they always will. You bought at a time that was very unusual just after a housing crash and the interest rates had just dropped. House prices shot up over a 10 year period, and over the following 15 years dropped in real terms.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X