Ford to axe 12,000 jobs! Ford to axe 12,000 jobs! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    You do realise they are significantly different from oil based ones? The motor is driven by this new thing called electricity there are no injectors or pistons, there is frequently one motor on each corner and the transmission is very short if there as a separate unit at all. In a hybrid the is a transmission its a legacy item needed for conversion.

    gearbox =! transmission.

    So, your straw man is that Ford aren't going to produce internal combustion engines anymore, therefore there's nothing for the UK manufacturing business.
    Is it because you don't think the UK is a capable country for manufacturing electric motors? I mean, based on your John Redwood list, once we're out of the EU we'll be brilliantly placed without all those barriers.
    Why isn't Ford investing in electric motor and transmission manufacturing in the UK?
    Go on, Mr Strawman, answer that simple one.

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Can you actually prove if we voted remain the factory would have stayed? Thought not!

    do you have any more straw??
    Can I prove anything would have happened if we had remained? No I can't. I can't PROVE it would be better, in the same way you can't prove it would be worse.
    But since the referendum nothing has happened in the UK anyway, apart from further division.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  2. #32

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    gearbox =! transmission.

    So, your straw man is that Ford aren't going to produce internal combustion engines anymore, therefore there's nothing for the UK manufacturing business.
    Is it because you don't think the UK is a capable country for manufacturing electric motors? I mean, based on your John Redwood list, once we're out of the EU we'll be brilliantly placed without all those barriers.
    Why isn't Ford investing in electric motor and transmission manufacturing in the UK?
    Go on, Mr Strawman, answer that simple one.



    Can I prove anything would have happened if we had remained? No I can't. I can't PROVE it would be better, in the same way you can't prove it would be worse.
    But since the referendum nothing has happened in the UK anyway, apart from further division.
    Electric cars are less than 1% of all cars sold and that won't be changing soon, so when a factory closes it isn't because they're switching to manufacturing electric cars.
    I'm alright Jack

  3. #33

    Lord of Ruin

    Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    22,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ... and leaving has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
    Honda had made the decision to close plants in the UK (March 2014) before the referendum so not a valid argument. They had been running down the Swindon plant for years, I used to contract for them.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

  4. #34

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    Honda had made the decision to close plants in the UK (March 2014) before the referendum so not a valid argument. They had been running down the Swindon plant for years, I used to contract for them.
    The decision in 2014 was to scale back production. The decision to withdraw from the UK completely was taken this year, and is almost certainly due to the combination of Brexit and the EU-Japan trade deal.
    I'm alright Jack

  5. #35

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,240

    Default

    Yeah but who cares - auto industry will go bust anyway by 2200 at the latest, so why bother anyway?

  6. #36

    Ducklike

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    8,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ... and leaving has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
    No... the EU trade deal with Japan has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.

  7. #37

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    No... the EU trade deal with Japan has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
    ...but keep their factory in Belgium.
    I'm alright Jack

  8. #38

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...but keep their factory in Belgium.
    Belgium has tariff free access to the EU?


    How many car factories has Honda closed in its history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •