• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ford to axe 12,000 jobs!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You do realise they are significantly different from oil based ones? The motor is driven by this new thing called electricity there are no injectors or pistons, there is frequently one motor on each corner and the transmission is very short if there as a separate unit at all. In a hybrid the is a transmission its a legacy item needed for conversion.

gearbox =! transmission.

So, your straw man is that Ford aren't going to produce internal combustion engines anymore, therefore there's nothing for the UK manufacturing business.
    Is it because you don't think the UK is a capable country for manufacturing electric motors? I mean, based on your John Redwood list, once we're out of the EU we'll be brilliantly placed without all those barriers.
    Why isn't Ford investing in electric motor and transmission manufacturing in the UK?
    Go on, Mr Strawman, answer that simple one.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Can you actually prove if we voted remain the factory would have stayed? Thought not!

do you have any more straw??
    Can I prove anything would have happened if we had remained? No I can't. I can't PROVE it would be better, in the same way you can't prove it would be worse.
    But since the referendum nothing has happened in the UK anyway, apart from further division.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      gearbox =! transmission.

So, your straw man is that Ford aren't going to produce internal combustion engines anymore, therefore there's nothing for the UK manufacturing business.
      Is it because you don't think the UK is a capable country for manufacturing electric motors? I mean, based on your John Redwood list, once we're out of the EU we'll be brilliantly placed without all those barriers.
      Why isn't Ford investing in electric motor and transmission manufacturing in the UK?
      Go on, Mr Strawman, answer that simple one.

Can I prove anything would have happened if we had remained? No I can't. I can't PROVE it would be better, in the same way you can't prove it would be worse.
      But since the referendum nothing has happened in the UK anyway, apart from further division.
      Electric cars are less than 1% of all cars sold and that won't be changing soon, so when a factory closes it isn't because they're switching to manufacturing electric cars.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        ... and leaving has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
        Honda had made the decision to close plants in the UK (March 2014) before the referendum so not a valid argument. They had been running down the Swindon plant for years, I used to contract for them.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
          Honda had made the decision to close plants in the UK (March 2014) before the referendum so not a valid argument. They had been running down the Swindon plant for years, I used to contract for them.
          The decision in 2014 was to scale back production. The decision to withdraw from the UK completely was taken this year, and is almost certainly due to the combination of Brexit and the EU-Japan trade deal.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yeah but who cares - auto industry will go bust anyway by 2200 at the latest, so why bother anyway?

Comment

... and leaving has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
              No... the EU trade deal with Japan has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                No... the EU trade deal with Japan has already led to the decision of Japanese manufacturers like Honda to abandon the UK.
                ...but keep their factory in Belgium.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

...but keep their factory in Belgium.
                  Belgium has tariff free access to the EU?

How many car factories has Honda closed in its history?

Comment

Working...
                  X