• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ann Widdecombe compares EU to slave owners in maiden European Parliament speech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I voted remain.

Ffs try to get something right.
    Yeah, a lot of leave voters are claiming they voted remain now that it's turned into a shoot-storm
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Saying it as it is...

Ann Widdecombe became the first Brexit party MEP to speak in the new European parliament this week, and chose to honour the occasion by likening Britain’s departure from the EU to the emancipation of slaves. Brilliant. "There is a pattern consistent throughout history of oppressed people turning on their oppressors, slaves against their owners, the peasantry against the feudal barons, colonies against empires," Widdecombe stated, "And that is why Britain is leaving.”

Slaves, of course, weren’t exactly known for their right to autonomy, parliamentary proceedings and the ability to trigger an emancipation clause to leave behind their unimaginable suffering. Still, the speech received praise from fellow Brexit Party’s MEP, Alexandra Phillips, who tweeted: “Tears in my eyes. She represents the ignored majority. Brave and principled. Our Ann.”
      Labour MP David Lammy was less eulogising about Widdecombe’s sermon: "It is impossible to explain how offensive and ahistorical it is for you to equate my ancestors tearing off their chains with your small-minded nationalist project. Shame on you." Similarly Martin Horwood, a Lib Dem MEP for South West England alongside Widdecombe, suggested she had a slackening grip on reality – and if she wanted to talk about oppression she should “look at her own record on oppressing women and minorities when she defended shackling pregnant women and opposed repealing Section 28.”

After the speech Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament's Brexit coordinator, tweeted that Nigel Farage was now “facing some stiff competition as chief clown of the Brexit Party in the European Parliament”. To be fair to Widdecombe, she literally declared last month that science might be able to “produce an answer” to “being gay” – so there really wasn’t much chance of her doing anything other than delving into some veritable unhinged rot in parliament.

I guess these sort of insights from Widdecombe gives us a real sense of the warped, deranged entitlement British right-wingers have when a 71-year old self-confessed virgin is genuinely bothered if you are having gay sex or not.

The fact that Widdecombe’s speech, without any irony, likened Brexit to a colony rising up against an occupying empire or the liberation of slaves shows us the selective memory Britain often has of its own history. We can only cite imperialism as a bad thing when it’s referencing us as being the victims. So it comes as no surprise that while Widdecombe and her colleagues furiously oppose the EU’s apparent “imperial grip” on Britain, her views differ greatly concerning British imperialism, where she believes Britain should not “apologise for its Empire” because it would be “childish” and “self-indulgent” to do so.

Sometimes you can’t help but laugh at the absurdity of the English ruling classes like Widdecombe and her Brexit Party lot sounding like ******* Lenin citing the “peasantry rising against the feudal barons” but only ever in the context of Brexit. God forbid someone ever makes them talk about that tulip in relation to the British class system.

What makes the likes of Wibbecombe even more detestable is that, when not turning their backs on the EU anthem in “protest” or allegedly already failing to turn up to European parliament sessions for important votes, they are all perfectly happy collecting their salaries and undoubtedly rinsing their expenses while complaining they have to commute to the Strasbourg, where they voluntarily ran for election to attend. What a bunch of divvy little *****.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I voted remain.

Ffs try to get something right.
        Dementia is a terrible thing.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Saying it as it is...
          Frightened to quote your sources? Since when did "ranting like a pre-pubescent teenager" qualify as "saying it as it is"? I'd have his English teacher over a barrel, for a start...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Dementia is a terrible thing.
            We'll help you, just ask. Being Old Greg shouldn't mean you have to be Passed-it Greg...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Frightened to quote your sources? Since when did "ranting like a pre-pubescent teenager" qualify as "saying it as it is"? I'd have his English teacher over a barrel, for a start...
              vice.co.uk actually. Not the best source but still funny as **** and probably more truthful compared to the new free newspaper coming out:

Nigel Farage launches ‘Brexiteer’ newspaper to attract Brits to his movement – The Sun

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                vice.co.uk actually. Not the best source but still funny as **** and probably more truthful compared to the new free newspaper coming out:

Nigel Farage launches ‘Brexiteer’ newspaper to attract Brits to his movement – The Sun
                I'm not sure putting Ann Widdecombe on Page 3 is the right move...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  I'm not sure putting Ann Widdecombe on Page 3 is the right move...

oPM would argue otherwise .... he's already knocked one out twice this morning
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Or did he knock twice out once?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X