• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Probably due to 17.4 million not very clever people in the UK of which some come into this sub-forum moaning about the very existence of it...

Oh Dear

US jobs report beats forecast, but German factory orders slide - as it happened | Business | The Guardian
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

US unemployment rate 3.7%

United States Unemployment Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

Germany unemployment rate 3.1%

Germany Unemployment Rate | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast | News

US simply trying to catch up to the EU jobs powerhouse.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

The fact that most jobs will be axed in the city has most likely at least something to do with Brexit
        Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          After three years we have yet to hear from you about any tangible benefits from leaving the EU. Please name one.
          just ask yourself, how have you benefited personally directly from the UK being a member of the EU versus how have you personally been disadvantaged or are likely to be disadvantaged in the future with continued membership?

I ignored all the high level arguments, e.g. infrastructure improvements, money for the NHS, immigration etc. and determined that I'd been personally disadvantaged by the UK's membership of the EU and that I'd likely to be progressively disadvantaged in the future if the UK remained members of the EU. Just one simple question, would you be disadvantaged by the introduction of E10 fuel if there was no other alternative, which is what has been proposed, but so far hasn't been enacted? I would be, as my main social interest needs fuel without alcohol to be readily available.

In another thread I related that the Welsh people as a whole voted to leave the EU, despite Wales being a major beneficiary of EU funds. I was asked why I though this was the case, but I clearly don't know. I then asked the opinion of the poster as to why he/she thought that the Welsh people as a whole voted to leave. I didn't get any answer.

Perhaps the people of Wales voted on the same basis as I did?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            just ask yourself, how have you benefited personally directly from the UK being a member of the EU versus how have you personally been disadvantaged or are likely to be disadvantaged in the future with continued membership?
            In a previous contract, lived and worked on the continent without the need for any visas or paperwork.

No roaming charges on holiday.

No credit card surcharges.

Able to swim on British beaches without having to wash the turds out of my hair.

Got sick in Greece once and visited the local hospital without charge.

Took the ferry over to Calais and brought back as much cheap booze as I could fit in the boot.

Etc.

For the cost to me personally of being in the EU (around £100 a year, according to my income tax return) I pay more in IR35 insurance per year to protect myself from the U.K. government.

Just one simple question, would you be disadvantaged by the introduction of E10 fuel if there was no other alternative, which is what has been proposed, but so far hasn't been enacted?
            No.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              not deflecting, you are suggesting it has something to do with Brexit yet the story suggests otherwise.
              No we're not. The job losses are not Brexit related. Where the job losses are being taken from IS Brexit related. Without Brexit, the London jobs may have survived. with Brexit, they didn't stand a chance.

FFS, you really do need it written down in crayons don't you?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                all the twats on here are, though.

situation normal..

Normality has resumed ... TFFT
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  After three years we have yet to hear from you about any tangible benefits from leaving the EU. Please name one.
                  Democracy. Free trade. Controlled borders.

There you go, just like buses with slogans on, you wait for one, and three turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

I ignored all the high level arguments, e.g. infrastructure improvements, money for the NHS, immigration etc. and determined that I'd been personally disadvantaged by the UK's membership of the EU and that I'd likely to be progressively disadvantaged in the future if the UK remained members of the EU. Just one simple question, would you be disadvantaged by the introduction of E10 fuel if there was no other alternative, which is what has been proposed, but so far hasn't been enacted? I would be, as my main social interest needs fuel without alcohol to be readily available.

In another thread I related that the Welsh people as a whole voted to leave the EU, despite Wales being a major beneficiary of EU funds. I was asked why I though this was the case, but I clearly don't know. I then asked the opinion of the poster as to why he/she thought that the Welsh people as a whole voted to leave. I didn't get any answer.

Perhaps the people of Wales voted on the same basis as I did?
                    And such selfish, uninformed and shortsighted decisions are one of the main reasons we are facing Brexit.

Did you really vote fro Brexit to stop the roll-out of E10? Jesus, I knew most of the Brexit voters are thick, but this is on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      In a previous contract, lived and worked on the continent without the need for any visas or paperwork.

No roaming charges on holiday.

No credit card surcharges.

Able to swim on British beaches without having to wash the turds out of my hair.

Got sick in Greece once and visited the local hospital without charge.

Took the ferry over to Calais and brought back as much cheap booze as I could fit in the boot.

Etc.

For the cost to me personally of being in the EU (around £100 a year, according to my income tax return) I pay more in IR35 insurance per year to protect myself from the U.K. government.

No.
                      OK, fine, then no one could criticise you for voting to remain.

The same accord should be afforded to those who voted to leave based on the same principles of the affect on them personally, if that's how they decided to vote.

I've rarely visited the continent in comparison to many and medical bills were always covered by insurance even prior to EU membership, I don't swim in the sea now, but I've never in all my life observed pollution in the seas around the Gower peninsula where I swam when I was younger. My mobile phone bill is less than £2 per month, I have little use for it, I'm tee total and non smoking but conversely, the possibility of the introduction of E10 fuel could have a major effect on my interests. I would guess you run an electric, diesel or very new car. However, there is also a move to introduce more bio diesel, which apparently won't suit older diesel cars. Apart from the E10 issue, there have already been several EU rules which have affected me in a detrimental way, if only in the slightest way.

So clearly I voted to leave.
                      Last edited by JohntheBike; 8 July 2019, 16:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X