• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    And such selfish, uninformed and shortsighted decisions are one of the main reasons we are facing Brexit.

Did you really vote fro Brexit to stop the roll-out of E10? Jesus, I knew most of the Brexit voters are thick, but this is on another level.
    no, I voted to be free of increased bureaucracy that is likely to affect me in the future more so than it has affected me in the past. And I'm not thick, just that I have different experiences and priorities from you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      no, I voted to be free of increased bureaucracy that is likely to affect me in the future more so than it has affected me in the past. And I'm not thick, just that I have different experiences and priorities from you.

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        OK, fine, then no one could criticise you for voting to remain.

The same accord should be afforded to those who voted to leave based on the same principles of the affect on them personally, if that's how they decided to vote.

I've rarely visited the continent in comparison to many and medical bills were always covered by insurance even prior to EU membership, I don't swim in the sea now, but I've never in all my life observed pollution in the seas around the Gower peninsula where I swam when I was younger. My mobile phone bill is less than £2 per month, I have little use for it, I'm tee total and non smoking
        So you paid extra for insurance that being in the EU meant that you no longer had to? See, you could find a personal benefit.

The rest is typically myopic - you don’t drink, smoke, travel, use a phone, swim in the sea, so you see no reason why millions of others see any benefits either?

but conversely, the possibility of the introduction of E10 fuel could have a major effect on my interests. I would guess you run an electric, diesel or very new car. However, there is also a move to introduce more bio diesel, which apparently won't suit older diesel cars. Apart from the E10 issue, there have already been several EU rules which have affected me in a detrimental way, if only in the slightest way.

So clearly I voted to leave.
        Okay, I’ll bite (though I’ll probably regret it). What, about the possible introduction of E10, means that other fuels will no longer exist? How exactly would this be detrimental to you?

And how will this differ with the U.K. out of the EU? Other non-EU countries have also introduced it.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          In a previous contract, lived and worked on the continent without the need for any visas or paperwork.

No roaming charges on holiday.

No credit card surcharges.

Able to swim on British beaches without having to wash the turds out of my hair.

Got sick in Greece once and visited the local hospital without charge.

Took the ferry over to Calais and brought back as much cheap booze as I could fit in the boot.

Etc.

For the cost to me personally of being in the EU (around £100 a year, according to my income tax return) I pay more in IR35 insurance per year to protect myself from the U.K. government.

No.
          How much more will you be paying when a Brussels government over which you have no power whatsoever is setting your income tax rate? It'll be more than you will ever save in roaming charges.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            How much more will you be paying when a Brussels government over which you have no power whatsoever is setting your income tax rate? It'll be more than you will ever save in roaming charges.
            I know, right? And when a “Brussels Government” puts up fuel duty, and excise duty on my beer, and introduces IR35....

If you’re going to make stuff up, why not go the whole hog?

Comment

When will Belgium be invading and are their armed forces now more powerful than the UK?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                So you paid extra for insurance that being in the EU meant that you no longer had to?
                If you're happy filling out an EHIC form in the language of whichever EU country you happen to be in, then fine. If not, take travel insurance that covers medical expenses. You'll find they suddenly have a far better grasp of English. I had an EHIC card for years, and only managed to use it once, in the Netherlands. Everywhere else, it wasn't worth the aggro to wait for someone to produce the right form in English.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  When will Belgium be invading and are their armed forces now more powerful than the UK?
                  Invasion? Don't be silly, the EU get their way by treaty nowadays, little by little. The military strength of Belgium is somewhat irrelevant. Especially with an expansionist German in charge...

Comment

Invasion? Don't be silly, the EU get their way by treaty nowadays, little by little. The military strength of Belgium is somewhat irrelevant. Especially with an expansionist German in charge...
                    Still want to know about this Brussels government that sets laws for other sovereign countries....

Comment

If you're happy filling out an EHIC form in the language of whichever EU country you happen to be in, then fine. If not, take travel insurance that covers medical expenses. You'll find they suddenly have a far better grasp of English. I had an EHIC card for years, and only managed to use it once, in the Netherlands. Everywhere else, it wasn't worth the aggro to wait for someone to produce the right form in English.
                      If you’re standing there arrogantly waiting for a form in your own language, it might explain why the NHS is failing to recoup medical payments from other EU nationals if they’re all taking the same stance.

Comment

Working...
                      X