• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Quite the opposite. The way the EU is is everyone speaking 20 different languages. Embrace it and embrace the differences.

Personally, I’ve found making an honest attempt and butchering their language tends to get them speaking English faster than just repeating the same thing BUT LOUDER. Perhaps that’s why I’ve found no trouble in getting forms filled in for me.
    All of which works brilliantly until you need something from someone. There's a world of difference between ordering a meal in a restaurant and needing something from a doctor. They probably all know if you "pay" via an EHIC card they'll have to wait several decades for the money, but an insurance company will pay up within a few weeks.
    I've been travelling in Europe for most of the last 30 years, and I always take travel insurance. It's just so much bloody easier than not having it.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      All of which works brilliantly until you need something from someone. There's a world of difference between ordering a meal in a restaurant and needing something from a doctor. They probably all know if you "pay" via an EHIC card they'll have to wait several decades for the money, but an insurance company will pay up within a few weeks.
      I've been travelling in Europe for most of the last 30 years, and I always take travel insurance. It's just so much bloody easier than not having it.
      Interestingly enough, I don't need an EHIC if I go to another EU country as my health insurance covers me for nearly every EU country Except for the weird ones like Monaco and San Marino.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So we can forget all about "sovereignty", it's starting to look a bit of a mythical beast.
        If member states don't like the idea, why are they signing up to each more powerful treaty? Vetoes are granted, not guaranteed. We "vetoed" both the last two EU Presidents, what was the point of that?
        And my definition of "they" is a political movement of the unelected variety who are driving the bus, and have the clout to kick the crap out of elected governments. If that's the only thing we've learned from Brexit, it's this, surely?
        Yes, sovereignty is a mythical beast - as promoted by Brexit. There’s no such thing as absolute sovereignty (unless you’re North Korea). Every agreement, every treaty, every trade deal “shares” a little bit of sovereignty with another nation.

We didn’t “veto” Juncker, don’t be disingenuous. We, along with Hungary, voted against him. 26 other countries voted for him. Not unanimous, but rather decisive.

Your “they” appears to be of the tin foil hat variety.

Comment

Quite the opposite. The way the EU is is everyone speaking 20 different languages. Embrace it and embrace the differences.

Personally, I’ve found making an honest attempt and butchering their language tends to get them speaking English faster than just repeating the same thing BUT LOUDER. Perhaps that’s why I’ve found no trouble in getting forms filled in for me.
          It's probably more that you are an utter @£$% and they just want to see the back of you.

Probably.

Comment

Invasion? Don't be silly, the EU get their way by treaty nowadays, little by little. The military strength of Belgium is somewhat irrelevant. Especially with an expansionist German in charge...
            But what happened to the EU army that the Brexiters said was coming along any day now?
            Is it not needed any more because 70 million Turks are not coming to the UK?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              But what happened to the EU army that the Brexiters said was coming along any day now?
              Is it not needed any more because 70 million Turks are not coming to the UK?
              Funny you should say that.

"The German defence minister once declared she wanted her grandchildren to grow up in a federal Europe and has made no secret of her hopes to see the creation of EU army"

United States of EUROPE! Why new EU chief should terrify nationalists | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

(only used the express link as the Telegraph one is behind a pay wall.)

Comment

Originally posted by Winston Churchill View Post
                As I have already said, this Assembly has no power to act, nor do we seek to relieve the responsibleexecutive Governments of their duties. We ought, however, to make our united convictions known. Weshould now send a message of confidence and courage from the House of Europe to the whole world. Notonly should we reaffirm, as we have been asked to do, our allegiance to the United Nations, but we should make a gesture of practical and constructive guidance by declaring ourselves in favour of the immediatecreation of a European Army under a unified command, and in which we should all bear a worthy andhonourable part.

“The Assembly, in order to express its devotion to the maintenance of peace and its resolve to sustain theaction of the Security Council of the United Nations in defence of peaceful peoples against aggression, callsfor the immediate creation of a unified European Army subject to proper European democratic control andacting in full co-operation with the United States and Canada.”
                FTFY
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So you paid extra for insurance that being in the EU meant that you no longer had to? See, you could find a personal benefit.

The rest is typically myopic - you don’t drink, smoke, travel, use a phone, swim in the sea, so you see no reason why millions of others see any benefits either?

Okay, I’ll bite (though I’ll probably regret it). What, about the possible introduction of E10, means that other fuels will no longer exist? How exactly would this be detrimental to you?

And how will this differ with the U.K. out of the EU? Other non-EU countries have also introduced it.
                  Whilst not in any way intending to be critical, the fact that you aren't aware of the implications that the introduction of E10 may have, is indicative of everyone's position, including mine. If you are not aware of the issues surrounding any regulations, then those regulations won't be on your radar. If those regulations are on your radar, then you will be acutely aware of the pros and cons of such regulations.

E10 fuel is unleaded petrol with 10% alcohol added. Alcohol is deliquescent and so E10 petrol will have significant levels of water in it. This means that it will corrode any steel components in the fuel system, e.g. petrol tanks. It will also corrode non ferrous parts such as carburettors and brass fittings and will degrade rubber and plastic materials also.

The implementation of E10 has been delayed in the UK because there is a significant number of older vehicles still on the road in this country, perhaps more so than in the EU, which will be affected and it is expected that eventually these will drop out of use. It's a bit different from the removal of lead, where additives are available. But it isn't easy to remove the alcohol.

However, my principal leisure time interest is the restoration and running of classic cars and motor bikes. We have been assured that a so called protection grade of petrol, without 10% alcohol, will be available for use by the classic vehicle fraternity. However, that will clearly depend on the economics of the situation.

So my quite valuable collection of classic vehicles, which I've spent many hours restoring and a great deal of money on, could become unusable and thus valueless as a result of EU regulations.

Although I haven't been able to establish the exact details, it is generally accepted that the use of classic vehicles in the UK is much less regulated that they are in the EU. We enjoy free veicle tax and MOT exemption.

There have also been attempts by the EU to ban the use of various materials used by the classic vehicle fraternity, but the FHVBC managed to limit some of the bans to the manufacture rather than use of these materials. These materials are now manufactured in Egypt and are available. So if I'm myopic, then a sizeable part of the population is also myopic and given that we are told that the classic movement is worth £5 billion pa to the UK economy, then that's not a sum to be discarded easily.

So, in my opinion, it is more likely that issues which affect the classic movement will be looked on by an independent UK government more favourably than the EU would.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    Whilst not in any way intending to be critical, the fact that you aren't aware of the implications that the introduction of E10 may have, is indicative of everyone's position, including mine. If you are not aware of the issues surrounding any regulations, then those regulations won't be on your radar. If those regulations are on your radar, then you will be acutely aware of the pros and cons of such regulations.

E10 fuel is unleaded petrol with 10% alcohol added. Alcohol is deliquescent and so E10 petrol will have significant levels of water in it. This means that it will corrode any steel components in the fuel system, e.g. petrol tanks. It will also corrode non ferrous parts such as carburettors and brass fittings and will degrade rubber and plastic materials also.

The implementation of E10 has been delayed in the UK because there is a significant number of older vehicles still on the road in this country, perhaps more so than in the EU, which will be affected and it is expected that eventually these will drop out of use. It's a bit different from the removal of lead, where additives are available. But it isn't easy to remove the alcohol.

However, my principal leisure time interest is the restoration and running of classic cars and motor bikes. We have been assured that a so called protection grade of petrol, without 10% alcohol, will be available for use by the classic vehicle fraternity. However, that will clearly depend on the economics of the situation.

So my quite valuable collection of classic vehicles, which I've spent many hours restoring and a great deal of money on, could become unusable and thus valueless as a result of EU regulations.

Although I haven't been able to establish the exact details, it is generally accepted that the use of classic vehicles in the UK is much less regulated that they are in the EU. We enjoy free veicle tax and MOT exemption.

There have also been attempts by the EU to ban the use of various materials used by the classic vehicle fraternity, but the FHVBC managed to limit some of the bans to the manufacture rather than use of these materials. These materials are now manufactured in Egypt and are available. So if I'm myopic, then a sizeable part of the population is also myopic and given that we are told that the classic movement is worth £5 billion pa to the UK economy, then that's not a sum to be discarded easily.

So, in my opinion, it is more likely that issues which affect the classic movement will be looked on by an independent UK government more favourably than the EU would.
                    You didn’t answer the questions.

Does the introduction of E10 mean that other fuels will no longer exist?

Why would being out of the EU be any different? (Ie what is the “EU regulation” that you’re either wanting to get out of, or wanting to be rescinded?)

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                      Whilst not in any way intending to be critical, the fact that you aren't aware of the implications that the introduction of E10 may have, is indicative of everyone's position, including mine. If you are not aware of the issues surrounding any regulations, then those regulations won't be on your radar. If those regulations are on your radar, then you will be acutely aware of the pros and cons of such regulations...
                      E10 is not suitable for old cars and for that reason it isn't mandatory nor is there any plan to make it mandatory.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X