• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More job losses due to Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    But nothing is said about the pollution to the areas local to where the rare Earth elements are being extracted that are used in catalytic converters.
    What about the raw materials for the batteries for electric cars not too mention the raw materials needed to create electricity to power them?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      What about the raw materials for the batteries for electric cars not too mention the raw materials needed to create electricity to power them?
      absolutely!

you have to ask the question what is the nett affect of all these activities designed to reduce pollution.

But we are straying off the original subject now, i.e. are the job losses in the bank a result of Brexit - who knows!

Comment

I did try to answer your question. Currently as far as I understand, E10 is not available at the pumps and normal unleaded is allowed to contain up to 5% alcohol, although the percentage does vary. However, most super unleaded is alcohol free, which I use for my vehicles.

The proposal is that only E10 will be generally available eventually, although it is stated that a protection grade, i.e. less than 10%, as it is referred to will be available for some time.

However, as I've said I guess this will depend on economics. If the petrol companies don't make enough money on it, we may be left with only E10, which will be a major issue for classic vehicles.
        So
        A. Other fuels will still be available, unless
        B. They are not economically sustainable.

Nothing to do with the EU then.

The regulations won't be rescinded in the EU, but the UK government is likely to suspend its implementation if there is sufficient lobbying from the FHVBC etc.
        Which regulation? Do you have a reference number?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          So
          A. Other fuels will still be available, unless
          B. They are not economically sustainable.

Nothing to do with the EU then.

Which regulation? Do you have a reference number?
          there are already other IC fuels available, such as paraffin, kerosene, LPG and even coal gas. But none of these is more suitable than petrol for classic vehicles.

There is a small industry creating LPG fuel tanks, but surprisingly although this fuel is apparently cleaner than petrol and diesel, there has never been a concerted campaign to use it, perhaps because it didn't use to attract the same tax as petrol and hence more extensive use would deny the Exchequer for a period until higher taxes were applied. I'm just being my cynical self here.

European Union Directive 2014/94/EU covers the issues and this

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-labelling.pdf

Discusses the issues.

It really does't matter what the environmental issues are, it's all about who can make the most money out of whatever policy can be put to the people.

Comment

There is a small industry creating LPG fuel tanks, but surprisingly although this fuel is apparently cleaner than petrol and diesel, there has never been a concerted campaign to use it, perhaps because it didn't use to attract the same tax as petrol and hence more extensive use would deny the Exchequer for a period until higher taxes were applied. I'm just being my cynical self here.
            Not an EU problem but a UK one. Nearly all petrol stations in Germany have E10 and the majority have LPG...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Not an EU problem but a UK one. Nearly all petrol stations in Germany have E10 and the majority have LPG...
              OK, but when you compare the policies of the continental EU countries with regards to motoring issues with those of the UK, you have to wonder what the UK government is up to.

Comment

OK, but when you compare the policies of the continental EU countries with regards to motoring issues with those of the UK, you have to wonder what the UK government is up to.
                Subjugation.

Comment

If the UK hadn't been a member of the EU, then the E10 issue wouldn't have arisen.
                  And this statement is based on what?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

there are already other IC fuels available, such as paraffin, kerosene, LPG and even coal gas. But none of these is more suitable than petrol for classic vehicles.

Quelle surprise, you’re being disingenuous again and not answering the question, deflecting from whether petrol - petrol, John, not kerosene - will still be available after (if) E10 is introduced.

European Union Directive 2014/94/EU covers the issues and this
                    “This Directive establishes a common framework of measures for the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure in the EU in order to minimise dependence on oil and to mitigate the environmental impact of transport. This Directive sets out minimum requirements for the building-up of alternative fuels infrastructure, including recharging points for electric vehicles and refuelling points for natural gas (LNG and CNG) and hydrogen, to be implemented by means of Member States’ national policy frameworks, as well as common technical specifications for such recharging and refuelling points, and user information requirements.”

As expected, nothing about forcing EU member states to implement E10.

It does expect minimum standards in infrastructure though, so now that I’ve read the abstract I find myself supporting this Directive, given my low expectations of the U.K. government in doing anything in this area without being forced to.

Thanks!

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-labelling.pdf

Discusses the issues.

It really does't matter what the environmental issues are, it's all about who can make the most money out of whatever policy can be put to the people.
                    You must have missed the entire section titled “1A. Ensuring the supply of E5 petrol”.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Quelle surprise, you’re being disingenuous again and not answering the question, deflecting from whether petrol - petrol, John, not kerosene - will still be available after (if) E10 is introduced.

“This Directive establishes a common framework of measures for the deployment of alternative fuels infrastructure in the EU in order to minimise dependence on oil and to mitigate the environmental impact of transport. This Directive sets out minimum requirements for the building-up of alternative fuels infrastructure, including recharging points for electric vehicles and refuelling points for natural gas (LNG and CNG) and hydrogen, to be implemented by means of Member States’ national policy frameworks, as well as common technical specifications for such recharging and refuelling points, and user information requirements.”

As expected, nothing about forcing EU member states to implement E10.

It does expect minimum standards in infrastructure though, so now that I’ve read the abstract I find myself supporting this Directive, given my low expectations of the U.K. government in doing anything in this area without being forced to.

Thanks!

You must have missed the entire section titled “1A. Ensuring the supply of E5 petrol”.
                      E5 also contains alcohol although some supplies of super unleaded are alcohol free. However, the document infers that the supply of E5 is only guaranteed until 2020 and that there is no guarantee that it will not be discontinued in the future. My contention is that if we were not members of the EU, then the UK just might be able to make laws and issue edicts that suit the UK better.

However, I voted the way I did and nothing can change that. As far as evading questions is concerned, I haven't seen an answer to my question as to why it is thought that Wales as a whole voted to leave the EU, when Wales was a major beneficiary of EU funds.

Comment

Working...
                      X