• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New EU Commission President nominee to prepare for Brexit Delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Quite. My interpretation of "democracy" tends to the view that any democratic vote is a choice between *at least two* candidates. The EU stands alongside Mugabe and a few unsavoury bedfellows in believing that offering a single candidate is that much easier for the proles to understand.
    No you can't vote against candidates in non-democratic election. Von der Leyen very nearly didn't get voted in. That would not happen in a token election. It's comparable with a confidence vote in Parliament. It isn't assured.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      No you can't vote against candidates in non-democratic election. Von der Leyen very nearly didn't get voted in. That would not happen in a token election. It's comparable with a confidence vote in Parliament. It isn't assured.
      So 48% think she's useless. With a bit of luck that might increase and her barking plans for a Federal state might yet fail.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Quite. My interpretation of "democracy" tends to the view that any democratic vote is a choice between *at least two* candidates. The EU stands alongside Mugabe and a few unsavoury bedfellows in believing that offering a single candidate is that much easier for the proles to understand.
        Whereas the UK will shortly have a leader voted for by 160,000 primarily elderly middle class white men...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Whereas the UK will shortly have a leader voted for by 160,000 primarily elderly middle class white men...
          (Is that ageist, racist, classist or sexist, or all of the above?)

At least they have a choice* of 2 candidates.

*No, I agree it's not a great choice, but it's slightly better than being told "it's that or nothing..."
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Then there's these un-elected representatives of the UK democratic process: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-prorogation-boris-johnson-lords-vote_uk_5d2f3b1fe4b0a873f6455727
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

(Is that ageist, racist, classist or sexist, or all of the above?)

At least they have a choice* of 2 candidates.

*No, I agree it's not a great choice, but it's slightly better than being told "it's that or nothing..."
              There was a choice of candidates and no majority for the other ones, so the candidates withdrew.

Of course they could have had a vote but it wouldn't have changed the result. When Nancy Pelosi was elected Speaker she was the only candidate.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                A leader who the UK electorate will be able to vote in or out in 34 months at most. Can't say that about any EU leader.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  A leader who the UK electorate will be able to vote in or out in 34 months at most. Can't say that about any EU leader.
                  Or the day after he gets leadership if there is a vote of no confidence, in fact might not even become leader it the current leader doesn't believe he can command a majority

Leyen can actually be removed from office at any time...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    There was a choice of candidates and no majority for the other ones, so the candidates withdrew.

Of course they could have had a vote but it wouldn't have changed the result. When Nancy Pelosi was elected Speaker she was the only candidate.
                    Nancy Pelosi doesn't want the UK to be part of a Federal state largely against our will*, or if she does, she hasn't yet said so.

We can dance around the "that's the way it works" thing all day and into next week, but is it all really in the spirit of what we understand as democracy?

*Obviously some of you want it, or you wouldn't be so happy to defend her unopposed appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      The whole EU Commission was sacked in the 1990's by the European parliament. MEPs can vote out the head of the Commission whenever they like.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X