• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New EU Commission President nominee to prepare for Brexit Delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Nancy Pelosi doesn't want the UK to be part of a Federal state largely against our will*, or if she does, she hasn't yet said so.

We can dance around the "that's the way it works" thing all day and into next week, but is it all really in the spirit of what we understand as democracy?

*Obviously some of you want it, or you wouldn't be so happy to defend her unopposed appointment.
    MEPs can change their mind and vote von der Leyen out of office whenever they like, so whatever she does won't be against the will of the majority. That's how a democracy works.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The whole EU Commission was sacked in the 1990's by the European parliament. MEPs can vote out the head of the Commission whenever they like.
      Link needed. I'm suddenly excited. Probably not for long though.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

MEPs can change their mind and vote von der Leyen out of office whenever they like, so whatever she does won't be against the will of the majority. That's how a democracy works.
        This is one of the problems with Brexiters, for years they've believed the lies that the Eurosceptic press have fed them (journalists like Boris Johnson who has not only admitted he made tulip up but will say what people want to hear) and have become immune to the actual facts. Myabe if they got off of their fat stupid lazy arses and actually thought for themselves, then the UK wouldn't be in such a poor state, they are the ones to blame, not the EU...sad isn't it?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Link needed. I'm suddenly excited. Probably not for long though.
          Santer Commission - Wikipedia

In response to the report, PES withdrew their support from the Commission[8] and joined the other groups stating that unless the Commission resigned of its own accord, it would be forced to do so.[11] So, on the night of 15 March, Santer announced the mass resignation of his Commission.
          Supervisory powers

The European Parliament has the right to approve and dismiss the European Commission.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The slogan "unelected bureacrats" was the Eurosceptic war cry, but when the Maastricht Treaty came along to rectify it they opposed that as well.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

The Lisbon treaty states that the European Parliamentary elections should determine who heads the Commission, in 2014 Juncker's party EPP won the election and so he was appointed, i.e. he was elected by the European electorate. He was still opposed by all the Eurosceptics and was labelled an "unelected bureacrat" even though it clearly wasn't true.

This election was a "hung parliament" so the heads of state had to propose a candidate.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

The Lisbon treaty states that the European Parliamentary elections should determine who heads the Commission, in 2014 Juncker's party EPP won the election and so he was appointed, i.e. he was elected by the European electorate. He was still opposed by all the Eurosceptics and was labelled an "unelected bureacrat" even though it clearly wasn't true.

This election was a "hung parliament" so the heads of state had to propose a candidate.
                Alright, I get that that's how the EU does things (even though it's completely alien to normal people), but the question one has to ask is why the hell choose Juncker? Even you rabid pro-EU peeps don't have much of a good word to say about him, wasn't there somebody vaguely competent available?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Alright, I get that that's how the EU does things (even though it's completely alien to normal people)

What's alien about the party that wins the election having their person in charge?
                  Is that different to how the UK works, or is there some secret rule we don't know of where Neil Fromage should run the country even though he has no votes in the UK parliament and has never been elected as a UK MP.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    What's alien about the party that wins the election having their person in charge?
                    Is that what happened this time around? No
                    She was a spitzenkandidat? No
                    The EU followed their own agreed process? No
                    (So that’s Selmayr & Leyen both installed, not by the agreed process now is it?)

Is that different to how the UK works,
                    Do you not know? Google is useful for such things.

or is there some secret rule we don't know of where Neil Fromage should run the country even though he has no votes in the UK parliament and has never been elected as a UK MP.
                    No, it seems you’re just obsessed by him and introduced him into another thread...it’s becoming a habit for you
                    Originally posted by Old Greg
                    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Is that different to how the UK works, or is there some secret rule we don't know of where Neil Fromage should run the country even though he has no votes in the UK parliament and has never been elected as a UK MP.
                      It's alien if the party system is an artificial one. I can't vote for the EPP, I have to vote for a UK party, who then nominate MEPs, who can then choose to join the EPP. Or some other party. Or none at all. So the chances of UK votes influencing the EU Commission Presidential outcome are practically zero.
                      We don't even know (because none of them ever discuss it) which EU party MEPs are signing up with. I'd call that a bit alien, given that when we vote in UK elections, we know exactly which party each candidate* is aligned with.

*Except Chuka Umunna, who can't seem to make up his mind...

Comment

Working...
                      X