• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New EU Commission President nominee to prepare for Brexit Delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    We don't even know (because none of them ever discuss it) which EU party MEPs are signing up with. I'd call that a bit alien, given that when we vote in UK elections, we know exactly which party each candidate* is aligned with.

*Except Chuka Umunna, who can't seem to make up his mind...

Are you saying you don't know because you didn't ask the party you voted for, you don't know because you don't care, or because it's someone else's fault that you don't ask and don't care?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Are you saying you don't know because you didn't ask the party you voted for, you don't know because you don't care, or because it's someone else's fault that you don't ask and don't care?
      Who might one ask? Candidates' contact details are not published.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It's alien if the party system is an artificial one. I can't vote for the EPP, I have to vote for a UK party, who then nominate MEPs, who can then choose to join the EPP. Or some other party. Or none at all. So the chances of UK votes influencing the EU Commission Presidential outcome are practically zero.
        We don't even know (because none of them ever discuss it) which EU party MEPs are signing up with. I'd call that a bit alien, given that when we vote in UK elections, we know exactly which party each candidate* is aligned with.

*Except Chuka Umunna, who can't seem to make up his mind...
        No only the Brexit party isn't aligned. This is the reason why a vote for them was wasted. All the other parties were supporting candidates to head the EU commission.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

If anyone felt strongly enough about the EPP they could have registered and stood for the EU elections, aligned with the EPP.

Democracy is all about getting off your backside.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Link which appears to explain the various complexities:

How movement between party groups has affected the balance of power in the European Parliament | EUROPP

So don't bother voting on party lines, you can't trust MEPs not to switch sides!
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

So don't bother voting on party lines, you can't trust MEPs not to switch sides!
              Sounds very much like what has been happening with UK politicians since the referendum...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Link which appears to explain the various complexities:

How movement between party groups has affected the balance of power in the European Parliament | EUROPP

Not all MEPs. You shouldn't vote for the Brexit party or Tories as they sometimes switch sides, but the other UK parties have been in the same groupings since they entered the European Parliament.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                X