• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP - How low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    No. There are not.
    I guess you haven't travelled much in the South Wales valleys then? There are still some places in Wales which cannot receive a TV signal, let alone have access to Broadband.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      I guess you haven't travelled much in the South Wales valleys then? There are still some places in Wales which cannot receive a TV signal, let alone have access to Broadband.
      serves the sheep botherers right.

Comment

UK is in general very poor in terms of internet speeds/coverage... But that is hardly fault of EU (or being part of the EU)! EU regularly will support this kind of project, plus look at some of the other EU countries that are in the frontline in speed and coverage! I know European countries where 100mbps are a minimum for over a decade, where in here it's still a (very far away) mirage for +80% of the population. Optic fibre coverage superior to the coaxial coverage in the UK. ADSL technology is also dead for way over a decade, in the UK it's still the only way to access internet even in the city centre of some major cities! How is that related with being or not in the EU!?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Those graphs show the balance of trade surplus/deficit and include revenue from exporting services. So they indicate to me that over the whole period of the UK's membership of the EU, our deficit has grown overall whereas prior to joining the deficit years were only marginal in financial terms. Remember, these are HMG figures. So how do you explain this?

and how do you explain the discrepancy in our gold reserves when compared to other EU countries -

Top 20 Countries With The Largest Gold Reserves, 2019 | CEOWORLD magazine
          You’ve provided zero evidence that there is a direct correlation between the UK’s membership of the EU and the UK’s trade deficit.
          In fact, given how you have imagined a 29% inflation and how wonderful rationing was, I suspect you’re a 50 something year old Wailer who thinks they fought in the First World War against communists.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            You’ve provided zero evidence that there is a direct correlation between the UK’s membership of the EU and the UK’s trade deficit.
            In fact, given how you have imagined a 29% inflation and how wonderful rationing was, I suspect you’re a 50 something year old Wailer who thinks they fought in the First World War against communists.
            So how would you interpret the graphs? Prior to joining the EU, the deficit/surplus was minimal each year. However, since the UK joined the EU, the deficit has gradually grown to a relatively (to prior to EU membership) huge gap. So what would you interpret that to?

OK, I was a few points out, it was 24.2% at it's peak in 1975 -

Historical UK inflation rates and calculator

During the period when inflation started rising rapidly, I was receiving a pay rise every month. Goodness knows how self employed people managed.

I remember the King dying BTW, and that's King George VI, the Queen's father, not Elvis
            Last edited by JohntheBike; 8 August 2019, 08:50.

Comment

OK, I was a few points out, it was 24.2% at it's peak in 1975 -

Historical UK inflation rates and calculator

During the period when inflation started rising rapidly, I was receiving a pay rise every month. Goodness knows how self employed people managed.

I remember the King dying BTW, and that's King George VI, the Queen's father, not Elvis

Ah, you were only out by 5%.
              So was it decimalisation that caused the 24.2% inflation, or was it joining the EU?
              Take your pick.

Comment

It was the oil price hike that triggered inflation, and then it took off.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

UK Decimalisation: Feb 1971. Inflation leading up to that:
                  2.5%
                  4.7%
                  5.4%
                  6.4%

Oh look, it was going up every year.

1971: 9.4%
                  1972: 7.1%
                  1973: 9.2%

Now, while you're off trying to recalculate how to blame the EU, can you provide a link to oil prices in the 1970s. Most unbiased sources say that the chief cause of inflation in the 1970s was the rise in oil prices

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Ah, you were only out by 5%.
                    So was it decimalisation that caused the 24.2% inflation, or was it joining the EU?
                    Take your pick.
                    as I've repeatedly said, I believe rightly or wrongly, and please refer to my speed camera analogy, that the inflation caused by decimalisation was part and parcel of the plan to bring our wages and prices in line with those in the EU, in order to overcome any veto to our membership which De Gaulle, or like minded Eurocrats, persisted in. Yes, the oil crisis exacerbated the actual figure, but everyone was subject to that.

Comment

as I've repeatedly said, I believe rightly or wrongly, and please refer to my speed camera analogy, that the inflation caused by decimalisation was part and parcel of the plan to bring our wages and prices in line with those in the EU, in order to overcome any veto to our membership which De Gaulle, or like minded Eurocrats, persisted in. Yes, the oil crisis exacerbated the actual figure, but everyone was subject to that.
                      There are no EU rules to bring prices and wages into line, not even now. De Gaulle wasn't alive.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X