• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP - How low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    OK, so, given the graphs, what would you attribute the huge increase in the balance of payments deficit, which has occurred only since we joined the EU?
    Greater economy growth, led to greater buying power, led to more and more people to buy/look for better imported quality goods.

Rules for better working conditions that led to a increase cost in production with led to decrease on exports.
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
      The remainers I know, accept that EU is far from perfect and that all the good that happened to the UK is not only because of the EU... The same way they are sure all the bad happening here isn't exclusively EU fault! Can you say the same of the brexiteers you know!? I can't, but then I'm also blessed for not knowing many...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
      In general, most of the people that I've discussed Brexit with, both remainers and leavers, have only homed on on a very small number of issues which either affected them or they were well informed about. Even here, I guess there will be many who have no idea of minutiae of some issues which might have influenced how people voted. Did you know that there was a suggestion that the EU were preparing to bring forward regulations to ban decorative chromium plating? Also remember the example of the speed cameras. The public's perception, however contrary to the facts, will greatly influence the less well informed.

Eu Proposes Chrome Plating Ban | CCFS UK

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
        Greater economy growth, led to greater buying power, led to more and more people to buy/look for better imported quality goods.

Rules for better working conditions that led to a increase cost in production with led to decrease on exports.
        With Brexit we might go back on both, and re balance a bit UK net exports... You think that's progress, then Brexit is gonna be great!

Comment

OK, so, given the graphs, what would you attribute the huge increase in the balance of payments deficit
          This is a question.

which has occurred only since we joined the EU?
          This is a supposition intended to lead the question down a particular path, rather than explore all possible answers to the question without bias.

HTH.

Comment

In general, most of the people that I've discussed Brexit with, both remainers and leavers, have only homed on on a very small number of issues which either affected them or they were well informed about. Even here, I guess there will be many who have no idea of minutiae of some issues which might have influenced how people voted. Did you know that there was a suggestion that the EU were preparing to bring forward regulations to ban decorative chromium plating? Also remember the example of the speed cameras. The public's perception, however contrary to the facts, will greatly influence the less well informed.

That's nothing compared to the suggestions made that Turkey would be joining the EU in the next couple of years, when anyone with a minimal knowledge of what is the EU and what it stands for will easily understand that that isn't even an option in the next 20 years (maybe way more)

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              This is a question.

This is a supposition intended to lead the question down a particular path, rather than explore all possible answers to the question without bias.

HTH.
              And it’s JtB’s standard operating procedure. Claim there is a direct link and ask people to accept it as true then argue from there.

Since joining the EU there has been an increase in obesity. That’s a fact. But one is not the cause of the other.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

GBP - How low will it go?

And why were the EU (including the U.K.) proposing to ban it, John? Because hexavalent chromium is a known carcinogen? To protect workers’ health in their employment?

Presumably you don’t mind an increased risk of “other people” getting cancer, as long as your chrome is nice and shiny?

Edited to clarify: the EU weren’t preparing regulations to ban decorative plating, only the plating made using the known carcinogen. Other platings were still to be allowed. The argument appears to be that people should have an increased risk of cancer because JtB wants his chrome made/repaired using one specific component rather than a non-carcinogenic alternative.
                Last edited by meridian; 12 August 2019, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  And it’s JtB’s standard operating procedure. Claim there is a direct link and ask people to accept it as true then argue from there.

Since joining the EU there has been an increase in obesity. That’s a fact. But one is not the cause of the other.
                  that's the problem with statistical correlation!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    And why were the EU (including the U.K.) proposing to ban it, John? Because hexavalent chromium is a known carcinogen? To protect workers’ health in their employment?

Presumably you don’t mind an increased risk of “other people” getting cancer, as long as your chrome is nice and shiny?

Edited to clarify: the EU weren’t preparing regulations to ban decorative plating, only the plating made using the known carcinogen. Other platings were still to be allowed. The argument appears to be that people should have an increased risk of cancer because JtB wants his chrome made/repaired using one specific component rather than a non-carcinogenic alternative.
                    my only answer to that is that the EU hasn't proposed a ban on coal mining, which has proven to be much more injurious to many more people than chromium plating processes might have proven to be. I guess you don't use electricity generated by coal fired boilers then?

Comment

my only answer to that is that the EU hasn't proposed a ban on coal mining, which has proven to be much more injurious to many more people than chromium plating processes might have proven to be. I guess you don't use electricity generated by coal fired boilers then?
                      Still think there is a hugeee difference on ban something with decorative purposes only or something that it's still fundamental for our daily life...

Comment

Working...
                      X