• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GBP - How low will it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    well, you can answer that question yourself. Fine out what the average wage was in 1960 and relate that to the cost of a transatlantic ticket and do the same for today.
    Maybe (just maybe) for the cost of a TV or a transatlantic flight in the 60s vs today there is a lot more variables than just the average buying power!!!!

25/30 years ago only the rich could afford a mobile phone, today even most homeless people will have one! Does this mean that the homeless people of today has the same buying power of the rich 25/30 years ago!?
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You’re the one who takes everything off topic.
      yes, with lots of encouragement from you and your sheep pal FFS

Comment

for some considerable time, well before I suspect you were born, 2 shillings and sixpence, i.e. half a crown, was colloquially referred to as half a dollar.

However, irrespective of the actual rate, and when exactly it was, we are much better of now with £1 = $1.2 than we were then. So I repeat that in the long term, exchange rates are not that relevant. What is relevant is that we compare actual values based on a known criteria, such as how long does it take based on average wages to buy any particular article now as compared with any previous time. Clearly if you apply those criteria to say a TV, then the answer would be that it costs less in real terms now to buy a TV than it did in 1960 for example. I would suggest though that it costs more in real terms now to buy a house than it did in 1960.
        Are we better off before or since Marathon was renamed to Snickers?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          ... you and your sheep pal FFS
          I’m not Welsh!
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I’m not Welsh!
            When you threatened to move there they voted against it. And they accepted me......

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Are we better off before or since Marathon was renamed to Snickers?
              well that was 1990, almost 30 years ago, so I guess we are better off, irrespective of the dollar exchange rate.

Comment

well that was 1990, almost 30 years ago, so I guess we are better off, irrespective of the dollar exchange rate.
                Have you noticed how the fading stars make the sun come up in the morning?

Comment

GBP to be parity with USD

with the country reverting to World Trade Organization rules on border controls. Some, though not all, suggest the British pound could eventually end up at parity with the U.S. dollar.
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...british-pound/

“The pound is at a much lower level now but I still think a no-deal exit would lead to significant volatility and we could be testing parity on a really bad outcome,”
                  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...g-to-take-hold
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Excellent news, thank you.

Comment

Euro to superseed both of them.

Can't wait to see the markets react to the massive printing spree the UK & US central banks are about to ignite. The ECB too, however the debts building up in the US will require so much more money creation.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X