• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brussels is flush with cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brussels is flush with cash

Britain's EU contribution rises by 20 per cent in year, as UK's booming economy props up Brussels' budget

Britain’s contribution to the EU has shot up by £2.6 billion in the past 12 months, new Treasury figures show, as the UK’s growing economy was used to prop up Brussels’ budget.

An “eye-popping” £15.5 billion was sent across the Channel in the year ending March 31, compared with £12.9 billion the year before - an increase of 20 per cent.

The extra money would be enough to put 50,000 more police officers on the streets or fund 81,000 social care beds.
    Let's stay in the EU, and fund some faceless Eurocrats instead!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Alternatively you could print a load of guff about preparing for a no deal which would pay for 4000 nurses....

As it's Johnson's cheerleader newspaper and behind a paywall I suspect they don't go into the real detail...

The UK's contribution to the EU budget - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament

The UK's EU membership fee - Full Fact
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

At least they're decent enough to take Sterling.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        At least they're decent enough to take Sterling.
        They do, at prevailing exchange rate

Same thing as asking for EUR

Comment

Let's stay in the EU, and fund some faceless Eurocrats instead!
          "Faceless"

OK, so the EU Council is made up of elected Heads of State.
          MEPs are all, of course, elected.
          And the EU Commission - we all know Jean Claude Juncker's face. The face of his successor, von der Leyen, is not hard to find.
          The EU Commissioners - all their faces in one helpful page
          The Commissioners | 2014-2019

The EU Commission employs around 32,000 civil servants.
          The UK government employs around 400,000 civil servants. I'd say the overwhelming majority of those are 'faceless'.

If The EU is controlling every aspect of our lives, then what does the UK need 400,000 civil servants for? Seems to me like the EU is much more efficient in only needing 32,000 of them.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
            "Faceless"

OK, so the EU Council is made up of elected Heads of State.
            MEPs are all, of course, elected.
            And the EU Commission - we all know Jean Claude Juncker's face. The face of his successor, von der Leyen, is not hard to find.
            The EU Commissioners - all their faces in one helpful page
            The Commissioners | 2014-2019

The EU Commission employs around 32,000 civil servants.
            The UK government employs around 400,000 civil servants. I'd say the overwhelming majority of those are 'faceless'.

If The EU is controlling every aspect of our lives, then what does the UK need 400,000 civil servants for? Seems to me like the EU is much more efficient in only needing 32,000 of them.
            You are bringing a logic and truth to a dirty gun fight.

In other words you are arguing with a Mor On.

Comment

I thought everyone was completely in agreement that we weren't going to do that?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Is the 20% "increase" more or less than the % the pound has dropped?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The EU is going to need that cash to bail Italy out. Hopefully after we've left.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Is the 20% "increase" more or less than the % the pound has dropped?
                    Exactly my thoughts! At the current rate 15 billions £ is probably not much more than 12 billions £ a year ago!
                    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Working...
                    X