• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "no deal" will just make everything worse with calls to rejoin, and as the chaos gets worse the Lib Dems will rise up the poll ratings. Passing the withdrawal agreement would probably have put the whole matter to rest.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      A "no deal" will just make everything worse with calls to rejoin, and as the chaos gets worse the Lib Dems will rise up the poll ratings. Passing the withdrawal agreement would probably have put the whole matter to rest.
      That's an interesting opinion.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        So, back to the usual question that you don't like answering: Are you happy that the UK throws out the Belfast Agreement and any loss of life that results from refusing to reach a deal?
        If anyone dies it is the direct responsibility of those who caused that person to die.

To try and accept it is going to happen and then try and blame everyone but the people who pull the trigger is one of the worst arguments against brexit I have heard for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          If anyone dies it is the direct responsibility of those who caused that person to die.

To try and accept it is going to happen and then try and blame everyone but the people who pull the trigger is one of the worst arguments against brexit I have heard for a while.
          Ah, so there's no negative consequences of Brexit, and anyone who says there is isn't playing by your rules.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Get in there!

BBC News
            You're happy to believe a man who said the exact opposite a few weeks ago

Yeah, right, Hancock has all the answers
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

bye bye Scotland and probably Northern Ireland. Wales will splinter off in time when the disaster unfolds

The good news just keeps on coming...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

bye bye Scotland

I don't support brexit and I support the option of a no-deal even less, but if this gives us another chance to be free from the english tyranny....I'd be okay with that

Comment

The reality is, we really don't know, because we don't have a written constitution. My gut instinct, as much as it pains me, is that it won't work.

In principle, when a VONC is tabled in the correct terms of the FTPA and that vote is lost (i.e., gov't loses) and the 14-day cooling-off period commences, then another grouping within Parliament *could* show a majority via an Early Day Motion or similar, but the PM could simply refuse to stand aside and simply declare, instead, when a GE should take place and that GE could take place after 31 October. There's nothing wrong with that logic, I think. A lot of this is based on convention, so the courts couldn't rule otherwise (Parliament is sovereign - thanks, Gina!). It is merely convention that an outgoing PM doesn't take irrevocable decisions in the run up to a GE, nothing more.

But you can imagine the uproar.

What's more likely is that an attempt will be made to legislate without replacing the PM, probably via SO24 with the assistance of the Speaker.

I guess, in principle, they could flood the Lords to prevent that too. The executive ultimately has a lot of power when it's determined to do something.

Anyway, it all seems a little outlandish.

What is much more likely IMHO, is a no deal after a GE, which will be cast as people vs. Parliament. That didn't go too well for May. But, the context is different now, and Boris is a much better campaigner and Dom Cummings knows what the feck he's doing, unlike May's team. I expect an election very shortly after 31 October, probably with an agreed delay to departure, followed by a Boris win, followed by no deal. I wouldn't stake money on it though.

Comment

You may be right, but I think you're probably wrong.

I think it's more likely that, once we've left, the Lib Dumbs will have a very hard time with leverage because they understand that rejoining the EU is very, very different, and the additional terms will be an almost impossible sell. I don't see the EU offering the same terms.

One of two things is much more likely. Either voters will blame the EU, which means that no deal will last for a very long time and our economy will be reshaped to reflect that. Or they will blame the Tories, in which case a new WA that looks very similar to the old one will eventually pass. But, either way, there would be a period of no deal. Much will depend on the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      You may be right, but I think you're probably wrong.

I think it's more likely that, once we've left, the Lib Dumbs will have a very hard time with leverage because they understand that rejoining the EU is very, very different, and the additional terms will be an almost impossible sell. I don't see the EU offering the same terms.
                      That would mean the EU in effect siding with the Brexiteers and helping them out. That is even less likely. In the short tern I very much suspect the door will be open.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X