• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    That is not why I'm happy at the news. I am happy at the news because it means those wets in parliament who sought to stall the UK leaving cannot now do so on the pretence of blocking leaving without a deal.

I'd prefer a deal but the lack of one shouldn't stop us leaving.
    If MP's had voted on any of the issues based on how their constituents voted in the referendum, perhaps we might not have got into this mess in the first place. However, this is the crux of the issue with our so call democracy. MP's do not represent the wishes of their constituents, they owe more allegiance to their political parties than the electorate.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
      If MP's had voted on any of the issues based on how their constituents voted in the referendum, perhaps we might not have got into this mess in the first place. However, this is the crux of the issue with our so call democracy. MP's do not represent the wishes of their constituents, they owe more allegiance to their political parties than the electorate.
      Shirley knot!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        It is merely convention that an outgoing PM doesn't take irrevocable decisions in the run up to a GE, nothing more.
        But didn't Parliament vote overwhelmingly for Article 50 and also to leave on Oct.31?

What irrevocable decision do you think Boris will make in the run up to a GE?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          But didn't Parliament vote overwhelmingly for Article 50 and also to leave on Oct.31?

"You're all sacked, I'm now Supreme Leader!"
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Yes, it did (on the former). Oct 31 was an extension accepted under the Crown Prerogative, without a vote. I'm not sure how those things are connected to my point though.

My point is that, by convention, the PM could refuse to quit after a successful VONC *and* after a "government of national unity" (aka whiny remoaner partisan gov't of national disunity ) has shown confidence with an EDM or similar. The PM could simply say, "screw you, the election is on 1 Nov, after we've left". Until the gov't of disunity is actually in power, it's powerless, and Boris (and ultimately HM) remain in control of that process.

Of course, Remoaners could attempt to involve HM at that point by "writing letters", but that is unlikely to succeed

The only reliable thing these remoaners can do, IMO, is to legislate by, for example, obtaining control of the order paper via SO24 and then changing the FTPA. But that would need to get through the Lords too; they probably wouldn't have time, and the gov't can appoint Lords at will to block/frustrate. Also, it would nicely play into the subsequent election campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              My point is that, by convention, the PM could refuse to quit after a successful VONC *and* after a "government of national unity" (aka whiny remoaner partisan gov't of national disunity ) has shown confidence with an EDM or similar. The PM could simply say, "screw you, the election is on 1 Nov, after we've left". Until the gov't of disunity is actually in power, it's powerless, and Boris (and ultimately HM) remain in control of that process.
              Emergency court order to arrest lawless public officials starting with BoJo.

Quick and very fair trial outside of Number 10 to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Your Russian / North Korean / Chinese / Venezuelan methods are no good here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Then we'll see if Priti Patel sticks to her desire to take back control and restore capital punishment
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    "You're all sacked, I'm now Supreme Leader!"
                    I bet the other mop-haired leader beats him to it....

Comment

One more scenario
                      Johnson refuses to quit after no confidence.
                      Corbyn declares himself prime minister and the EU accepts that he is the new prime minister and they agree to extend the departure date until after an election.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                      X