• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Oh well, at least your wife will have a heads-up.
    Yours like a head down.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Yours like a head down.
      Your wife would like her head down, but she's afraid she might lose her brain through her nose.

Comment

John Bercow to prevent Boris from closing Parliament

oh dear

So what else can Boris do
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          John Bercow to prevent Boris from closing Parliament

oh dear

So what else can Boris do
          The Commons Speaker said he would fight any attempt to prorogue Parliament “with every bone in my body”. Does that include donning Khaki and signing out the Mess Webley?
          (Third drawer down in the anteroom desk.)

Btw John, can I have 5th dibs on your Mrs if you get shot? I'd have said 1st dibs but I think a few others will have "been there" before me, she does have a bit of a "reputation"...
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            The Commons Speaker said he would fight any attempt to prorogue Parliament “with every bone in my body”. Does that include donning Khaki and signing out the Mess Webley?
            (Third drawer down in the anteroom desk.)

Btw John, can I have 5th dibs on your Mrs if you get shot? I'd have said 1st dibs but I think a few others will have "been there" before me, she does have a bit of a "reputation"...
            More likely that it means refusing to recognise the proroguing and meeting as Parliament anyway, either in HoC or Methodist Hall.

Comment

The 'can't stop no deal' BS is pure Cummings spin, trying to cow the rebels into thinking all is lost.

Also the hearing to stop prorogation has been fast-tracked to September 6th. A legal judgement is yet to go in Brexit's favour, and this is a hell of a lot more controversial than whether Parliament was needed to invoke article 50.

Comment

Brexit exit date is fixed in law now - unless PM willing to stop it then it can’t stop

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Brexit exit date is fixed in law now - unless PM willing to stop it then it can’t stop
                  It can still be stopped, in theory.

It simply needs legislation, for which there are various triggers with the help of the Speaker (notably, SO24 at any time, NI report on 9 September).

Whether it will be stopped is a different matter. Seems unlikely, but definitely possible.

If it is stopped, there's a decent chance that Johnson would win an election. It's more likely than not that an election will happen before no deal, IMO, but no deal is more likely than a deal now, and remaining is highly unlikely (doesn't have the support of Korbyn, Red Len et al.).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    More likely that it means refusing to recognise the proroguing and meeting as Parliament anyway, either in HoC or Methodist Hall.
                    Proroguing is a fun diversion to trigger remoaner head explosions; it won't actually happen. HTH.

Comment

Boris is a bit worried by that nasty rebellious letter from 21 Tory MPs.

Parliamentary arithmetic doesn't look good.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 August 2019, 17:15.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X