BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 123

Default BREXIT: Parliament can't stop "no deal" - Matt Hancock

Get in there!

BBC News

Parliament can no longer block a no-deal Brexit, the health secretary has said.

During his bid for the Tory leadership, Matt Hancock said no deal was "not an available choice" to the next PM, as MPs "will never allow it to happen".

He told the BBC he had now changed his mind because they had a chance to block it in a series of votes last month, but failed to muster the numbers.

Jeremy Corbyn said Labour would do all it could to stop no deal.

But Downing Street insisted the UK would be leaving on 31 October "whatever the circumstances", whether a deal had been agreed with the EU or not.

"Politicians cannot choose which votes to respect. They promised to respect the referendum result and we must do," No 10 said.

Asked whether Mr Johnson would respect the outcome of votes in Parliament - including a vote of no confidence in his government - the spokesman refused to be drawn, calling it a "hypothetical" question.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

More fingers than teeth

bye bye Scotland and probably Northern Ireland. Wales will splinter off in time when the disaster unfolds

I'm alright Jack

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Quote Originally Posted by Zigenare View Post
    Get in there!

BBC News

Who in their right mind voted for no deal?
    Who thinks that it is a good idea?
    Practice social posting
    Stay Alert
    - Moderate the Posts -Save Face
    Together we can beat the CV offenders

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    bye bye Scotland and probably Northern Ireland. Wales will splinter off in time when the disaster unfolds

More good news.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    That is not why I'm happy at the news. I am happy at the news because it means those wets in parliament who sought to stall the UK leaving cannot now do so on the pretence of blocking leaving without a deal.

I'd prefer a deal but the lack of one shouldn't stop us leaving.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

I Am Legend

I thought the only good reason to stay in the EU was get divorced is difficult. It causes disruption. But you come out of the other side much better off.

Maybe we should ask the resident CUK divorce expert?

That is not why I'm happy at the news. I am happy at the news because it means those wets in parliament who sought to stall the UK leaving cannot now do so on the pretence of blocking leaving without a deal.

So, back to the usual question that you don't like answering: Are you happy that the UK throws out the Belfast Agreement and any loss of life that results from refusing to reach a deal?
    Practice social posting
    Stay Alert

I Am Legend

I would accept any deal with the EU that does not involve the UK bending over and taking a rogering without lube. As the photos of the aftermath of the CUK mod Christmas party can testify, that is painful.

I Am Legend

So, back to the usual question that you don't like answering: Are you happy that the UK throws out the Belfast Agreement and any loss of life that results from refusing to reach a deal?
    Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. Even if it is the fault of the EU. I support their right to break the GFA.

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. Even if it is the fault of the EU. I support their right to break the GFA.

Why is it the "fault of the EU"?
    Practice social posting
    Stay Alert